• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bottem Bouncers

Lip RIPPER!

Question

8 answers to this question

Fisky, haven't been up for a couple of weekends but I will be out and about this weekend. I have fished those gators that past few trips and I imagine that is what I will be doing again. I heard you did a little shoveling and digging last weekend. I will probably be set up west of where you and Widetracik were to hope for a flag to fly. There were some big ones caught there last weekend. Anyway, I was just wondering what others had to say about the type of line they use. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Hey Ripper....Ahhh the Pike bite this time of year, what fun! I don't really target the Pike up there when I do make it on account of the Walleye potential the area holds this time of year, but you sure catch them up there anyways. I'm usually Pike fishing in Muskeg as you know. If you don't mind my asking when you do your Piking up that way and mention west of that setup are you talking westside of that big bit of structure, or just west between that spot and that structure? I would imagine they would come off of both sides as I've caught numerous nice ones on both sides thru the ice and from a boat. Do you have a prefered depth range up that way you like to key on?

Thanks for any insight, and don't worry iffin I do get out that way Piking anything short of that long sought 48 incher will be gently returned to grow more!

Thanks....Fisky

Back on topic, I use 30lb powerpro or 14lb fireline on my baitcasters for BB. Both rods are medium action with a extra-fast or a fast tip (I don't remember to be exact). It is also nice to have some back bone on the rod for a good hook set.

For one, I would definitely not go with out a superline. They give you a feel for things under water that you may miss with mono. I can actually feel my spinner spin on my rod (7' Med IM7 with 30lb P-Pro).
What you feel can be a big key to success when bottom bouncing.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!

Thanks for the tips LocalGuide. That was my assumption, I have never used a setup like that. So you put a backing on , then the superline, then they live bait rig??

Hey Ripper, been out on the pond lately?

I'm partial to Power Pro for bouncer/spinner work, I run 10# on a 7 foot ML St Croix premier, and 15# on a 7'6" St Croix Tidemaster for them bigger bouncers out deeper. Both these rods are baitcasters and have a mod/fast action.

I'm getting spring fever too!....Fisky

Yep I fill my spool up with some mono. Maybe around 1/3 full and then fill the other 2/3 with superline. It depends on how much mono to put on according to your spool size.

So yes, mono backing, superline, bottom bouncer, and a snell line. Pretty basic set-up.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300
And keep those hooks sharp!