• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil Filters for a 4-stroke

Question

I have a 50 H.P. Yamaha 4-stroke. I love everything about it except for the $12 OEM oil filters. In a previous thread LUNDEXPLORER mentioned that he found a Fram cycle filter that cross referenced to the OEM. Does anyone have a filter reference number? Thanks for any suggestions.

8 answers to this question

Makky,

I have the same motor, and if my memory serves me, the filter was PH6017A. I have not used this one yet so I can't say if its good or bad, but am going to try it next time I change oil.

I found them at Fleet Farm, in the motorcycle section. There is a Fram motorcycle filter book with that has the yamaha part number cross-referenced to the fram filter.

TL

Makky,

I have the same motor, and if my memory serves me, the filter was PH6017A. I have not used this one yet so I can't say if its good or bad, but am going to try it next time I change oil.

I found them at Fleet Farm, in the motorcycle section. There is a Fram motorcycle filter book with that has the yamaha part number cross-referenced to the fram filter.

TL

Some research I have done on this says that the OEM filter and fram filter are similar in design, neither are really optimal choices for a high performance filter in the way they seal the filter media.

So much for the OEM filter...

But there are apparently other high performance filters available that are supposedly better - and cheaper than OEM at dealers

Post your email if you'd like the link to this info.

Let me get this right......

You change your oil twice a year at most. The OEM filter is $12 and a Fram or NAPA probably runs $7 or $8.

So your gonna risk putting on a non OEM....potentially warranty negating filter to save yourself $8 or $10 dollars a year.

I think you guys ought to rethink that decision.