• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MJ+ backwaters= success

CrappieJohn

Matt Johnson and I did the backwaters of the Mississippi River today very close to where we had the Backwater Brawl last February and success would be an understatement.

We fished for about six hours and in that frame of time caught and released perhaps 10 lm bass, a handful of smallies and sunfish and crappies totalling well over two hundred.

Using a 1/32 orange head and white pearl Exude Microshads, we worked weed edges along current in six feet or less of water. Seldom did we set floats over 18". From the get-go, the panfish were a hot bite. Lots of so-so fish came to the boat, but many very nice +9" sunfish got landed. Crappies were to 11 1/4 inches and made up about forty percent of the pannie numbers.

As the sun got higher and higher, we began to poke back into areas with shallow wood, often in only three feet of water and stayed on fish the whole time.

Finally about 1 oclock we noticed a switch in the bite and things got slow so we quit.

An interesting thing about the fishing today was the siting of several large walleyes in five feet or so of water that were chasing forage that was working the surface. We tried to get them to hit, but no go.

All in all, the day was a blast and as productive as I have seen the backwaters for pannies in a long time. With the water down 10 degrees from about a week ago, the panfish bite should just get better if the rains can add some volumn down there.

Another intersting note is that we did try Euro-larva on hair jigs for a while and managed a couple random fish that way. And when thew bite was at its best, I switched from the Exude to the larva/hair again to see if it made a difference. The answer is yes. The larva and hair was no where near as productive as the Exude. Unscented plastics were not tried today.

I did notice that someone needs to take pity on Matt and buy him some line. If I got the boat more than eight feet away from the weedline he could not reach it began to get edgy. So if anyone wants to make a charitable donation, Matt (aka the crip dip) needs some new lines.

you know with Matt's getting hurt, he might not be putting in the hours he should, has to cut corners somewhere. mad.gif Glad to see you did your best to keep him on fish Tom. grin.gif It had to be a blast. wink.gifwink.gif

I've got a spair 150 yards of 50lb Power Pro he could use. grin.gifsmirk.gif

I snapped it too many times flatheading and respooled with 80lb. No more 50lb for me. grin.gif

I don't think the pannies would mind. Or would they?

Gee. I don't know Chris. 50 pound pro....that might make his threatened stories grow. Matt assured me that he was getting line. A couple times today he mentioned my trying to get closer to where the fish were hitting good since he was short on cord....that was how I kept his fish numbers in check. Really though, we had a riot with these fish.

Matt made some observations which I have long known about these river fish. They may not have the length that some of the lake fish have, but they are considerably thicker thru the back and fight like smallmouths for their size.

Great day today Tom! A big thank you for the company and the awesome steak dinner! smile.gif

Yes, the backwaters were producing some fish today, no doubt about that. A lot of excitement and a few stories. Tom "dropping" his sun-glasses in the water was one of them grin.gif... oh yeah... not to mention "pad boy" grin.gif

The sunfish were going crazy in several different areas, and like Tom mentioned, some were decent size too. The morning hours were by far the most productive, and once that sun reached its height things got a little tougher. We managed to pick up a few more pannies on our way out, including a nice smallie and an 11 inch crappie.

Not a bad day to be on the water and it's always nice to get out with Tom. I always learn something when I spend time with Tom, he has a real knack for paying attention to detail, and he will make sure you understand the current fishing conditions as well as the methods used. You WILL come away with a lot of info after a day on the water/ice with Tom, and it's info that you can use day in and day out. Much of my panfish knowledge has come from Tom, a great guy and a very valuable asset to the FM community! smile.gif... Not to mention he always seems to have a few jokes up his sleeve as well wink.gif

And YES!... I'll be respooling with some new line, you turkey grin.gif

Here's a few pictures from today out on the backwaters...

CTsmallieBW.JPG

CTcrappieBW.JPG

MJgillBW.JPG

gillBW.JPG

Tom and I will be teaming up for a series of seminars starting this fall. We hope to hit both Metro and out-skirt area Gander Mountains. And of course, the topic will revolve around panfish smile.gif We will keep you posted...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Looks like you boys had a ton of fun punishing those pannies and bass. Those smallies are fun to catch out there and it looks like you caught them on the ultra light equiptment. We caught one on a ul rod w/4# test the other day and it took an honest 5 minutes to put it in the boat.

Matt.. It's alway nice to fish with somebody like Tom. His vast knowledge and particular attention to details aids in the total fish count and makes for great company. Sounds like a great trip. You really got the royal treatment with that steak dinner. Very nice.

With the UL equiptment, what pound test line were you using and type? I enjoy the 4# mono for pannies.

Huskers....

These backwaters are down here in the SE corner of the state straight across the river from Wabasha. You are looking at a two hour drive. Pretty easy drive though. 169 south to 62, follow all the way to where it turns into 52/55. Exit 55 east at the refinery and go to 61 south to Wabasha. Take the second Wabasha exit off the hiway to the left turn for the high bridge and there you are. Three different landings to choose from on the dike road and tons of water to explore.

OK, you want to know about the "pad boy" thing. Matt had some Maxi-pads in his tackle, for what I don't have a clue. ( He said something about using them for starting campfires)Anyway, I'd float my lure back into the tangles on one and flip it off when it got back far enough into the....ya right!

Actually I was finding lots of hits coming from right under the larger lily pads. I was constantly getting hooked up in the stems and he dubbed me Pad Boy because I was always needing to go get unhooked from a pad.

Ha! mad.gif Tom's a funny guy! wink.gif I see how it's gonna be... grin.gif

What Tom forgot to tell you, was that he got his purse confused with my tackle box grin.gif

Since Tom has told you about what he wished pad boy meant, and he also added in a little fabricated info, I suppose we can tell the real truth... Yes! Tom did spend a lot time unhooking from the lilypads grin.gif

Ok, all joking aside, it was a truly a great day on the water yesterday. For anyone who has met Tom, they can back me up on saying he's a genuine class-act!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Great posts Matt and Tom. Say, why not try to line up a seminar at the new Gander Mountain store in Baxter/Brainerd. The events person there is none other than my book co-author collaborator, Mickey Johnson. It would be fun to hear you guys in person. The only "fly in the ointment" is that come fall Mickey and I are out Montana way chasing upland birds!!

Seriously, would love to hear you guys, might be able to get you on some water for a "hands on".

You might be surprised to learn that our past Lindy president, Nick Adams and I spent four hours on Gull Lake this past Saturday chasing sunfish in 16'-21' of water. What a blast. Throw in some nice LM bass, rockbass, crappies and perch. Tiny tube jigs and tiny bare jigs with a "hint" of crawler meat. Brought home seven nice sunnies for Pat and I to eat that evening. We figured 150-170 sunfish with a few keeper crappies. Nick was on a roll with some very nice bass that anyone who was fishing a bass tournament that day would have gladly put in their livewell. A real battle on ultra-light gear.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Lindy Tackle Company

doc,

I think a semimar in Brainerd would be a good idea. We'll have to make it an ice fishing seminar and maybe shoot for the beginning part of 2006. I would enjoy hitting the ice with you up in your neck of the woods too.

Sounds like you also got into some nice largies. Those deep water sunfish are a lot of fun too, some monster panfish in that area too!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

As always Matt, it was a riot. And yes, kidding aside, the fishing was as good as Matt has offered.

In another forum the mention of the "pin" minnows being in the backwaters strikes a cord with me as they mark the beginning of a wild time. The water temps cooperated for Matt and I by being 10 degrees cooler than the week before, but there was a lot of floating vegetation and dying duck weed. These too are indication of a change coming.

Many of these lagoon type waters are without current, however the ol' Miss has a way to ensure that most of the water we got into had some flow to it and that is a key. By targeting the moving water where it stilled due to weed growth- primarily the yellow lotus or water lily - we were able to keep in fish all the while we were on the water. Without the water movement I am certain we would not have seen the fishing we did see.

We watched another couple fishing near us with worms in the same identical kind of cover and not doing anywhere near as well as we were with the plastics. They would simply hang in one area and not move until they simply could not get a hit. We were on the move and when we had fished a stretch we went right back over it again and kept in fish. We even went into the area where we first saw this couple parked and took some very nice gills.

The one thing Matt did comment on more than once was the awesome beauty to be found in the backwaters of the Mississippi. It is a unique fishing experience and one that generally would be "doable" in a day, maybe two for those further north. This fishing will deal up some very heavy crappies when the water begins it's fall temp drop and until well into the ice season fishing here can be mind boggling. Matt got a small taste of it on Tuesday, but I am positive he will not be hard to talk into a return trip.

I should also mention here that there are several areas where shore fishing is as good, if not better, than the boat fishing. For those who are cautious of fuel prices and think towing a boat might limit their ventures, shorefishing is yet another option for everything from sunfish to walleyes and sauger!

Wow!

Sounds and looks like you guys had one heck of a day on the water. Any day is a good day on the water but when you can put some numbers in the boat, that makes it even better. Not to mention that it seems you may have learned a thing or two and had a blast doing it. Keep it up guys.. very nice.

Dave

Every now and again, Matt, we seem to hit on something that brings Doc to life. lol

A seminar in Brainard would be great! Carole has already done the thumbs up to this if you want to plan it, but be mindful of the BWBrawl in early Feb....1st weekend.

Don't worry about that Tom, I wouldn't miss the Brawl for anything dude! Gotta make another stop at the sandwich shop smile.gif

I'll get things sorted out and we'll plan a seminar in Brainerd, maybe for the first part of January or something...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Hey if you guys got a WI license try from Nelson/Wabasha down to Buffalo City. How were you working those Exude shads and bobber rigs? Did you grumpy ol farts happen to run into Catfish Hunter down there?

Hey Cooter....

We were fishing just off the dike road between Wabasha and Nelson on one of the many currented runs found there. Its been several years since I was last down in that area you mention, but the list of "to do's" includes it.

The Exude Micro Shads were fished under a simple float for the most part. In the entire time we were out I never marked more than seven feet of water and the floats ere set at about two feet. The key was the large flat pads right next to current.