• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pup struggles on leash....

311Hemi

My pup is now 13 weeks old and we are just started working on sit as far as obedience goes.

I have not started on heel at this point. My issue is whenever I put the leash on and try to walk him on it he struggles and twists back and forth and chews on the leash. I just sit there am let him do it usually revome the leash from his mouth. Eventually he will stop struggling but then if I try to start walking again he will either sit there and tear up grass or will walk ahead of me or wherever and pull on the leash. If I try to stop moving everytime the leash is tight and not move anywhere until the leash is loose the pup keeps himself occupied by smelling around, chewing on grass, or laying down.......and we go no where.....

He has no problems with being on the leash on his own just running around the house, yard, or in fields.....only when I am in control(or lack there of) holding the leash while in public places (people/sidewalks) where he should obey the leash.

Any thoughts on how to correct this or if it may be a bit early yet?

****Update for our session over lunch today....

Well, we had to end things early at lunch today....my frusteration level shot right up after a few minutes of him on the leash. He will not walk by my side with me holding the leash. Take it off he does.

I was told to hold the leash over the back and wrap it down under the belly and around the back again to when the dog pulls forward it will squeeze tighter. Today that did nothing but make him drop to the ground and lay on his back bighting at the leash. If I kept pressure on it while he dropped to the ground he would yelp a bit, so I stopped that pretty much right away. I would pick him up and he would drop down again even though he had the pressue around his belly.

At a loss of what to do.... Angry

I'm not an expert, but I think you are doing the right thing by showing patience and realizing you are getting frustrated, and stopping.

At 13 weeks don't let expectations be too high. Hey man, bird gotta fly, fish gotta swim, wife gotta nag, puppy gotta chew.

It could be that puppy just plain isn't used to having a leash or a collar on. If your pup doesn't always have a collar on you should put on on him.

I kind of ran into this scenario last year with my GSP. It took time. Lots of time. However, once he was used to the fact that he had a leash on and I was in control, training happened much faster and we had a ton more fun.

Good luck.

Calm down...take a deep breath and start over. Ha! Been through all this. Patience really helps. Keep a collar on him all the time, he's old enough now. Get him sitting by your side and then shorten the leash so he can't much move away from your leg. Then move off, slowly. If he wants to lay down just lift him to his feet, sit him on his (Contact US Regarding This Word) right back where he was. Do this until he moves with you or you lose patience again. Then stop and wait for another session. The dog IS very young. My latest pup is just 14 weeks and will sit on a hand signal, stay on a hand signal, respond to three whistle signals etc. but he is STILL sloppy on heel and until a week ago wanted to chew the leash and fart around, just like your pup. You CAN be forceful with him but don't hurt him. I'm working on my 15th or 16th Lab and have never had a serious long term problem, have never used electronics and have always had dogs that would stop, sit, stay, move left right and back on hand signals alone and do all the whistle tricks etc. None of them would have been National Champions, but they were good dogs, admired by most who saw them and loved by all.

Have patience with your little pal. He'll come around. When he gets snarky pick him up, rub noses with himn and say "you little rascal....your gonna come around yet and then you'll really think your cute.!

Enjoy. As Will Rogers said....."if there are no dogs in heaven...then I ain't goin'"

I was just in the same position, my pup is about 14 weeks now, and she was the same way. I did about the same as you, didn't force it on her. Just kept trying every day, and one day a couple of weeks ago, it was like the flip of a switch, she just started walking on the leash like it was natural for her. We now go for walks every day, and the leash is no problem for her. Sometimes she still tries to chew when I first put it on, but a stern "no" does the trick for that. Most of the time as soon as she sees the leash she exitedly heads for the door, as she knows its time for a walk. Keep up the patience, it'll click soon.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will take it slow and be patient.

I currently have the leash on him with him dragging it whenever we go for walks in the fields/woods (which is every day). Thats about the only time it is on him.

I also put him on a short lead on a post in the yard twicea day until he clams down (sits/lays down) as per my breeder.

I will work it slowly just having him try to sit and remain calm at my side first...and then try to start moving slowly.

We have a pair of mule-headed Bassetts and my spousal equivalent had no trouble with getting them to obey on a leash. She got a couple gentle leader collars and they make easy work of it. It goes around their neck and nose and dogs learn quickly not to pull against it. When they pull, it puts pressure on their nose without hurting them. I'd recommend trying one.

In the Water Dog book by Walters theres a classic picture where he has a pup on a leash, tied to a door knob, with the pup pulling for all his might. The caption is "life is not a bowl of cherries". The lesson the pup is learning is that the leash is stronger than he is. Sounds like your pup is fighting the leash. Tie him up to a tree and walk away! Leave him there for an hour or two. Have it set up so you can check on him thru a window, in case he gets in trouble. There will be some crying and whining but he'll learn its fruitless to fight the leash. I guarantee he'll be happy to see you and go for a walk! Then work on your sit, heel, and later stay. Patience and repetition!! Keep your sessions short and fun! Are you throwing a puppy dummy yet??

Right now I am putting the pup on an 18" lead on a pole for around 30-45 minutes at a time (instead of the leash on the tree). I am doing that twice a day most days. Maybe I should do longer periods (1-2 hours/day). He does fight it for the first 5-10 mintues non-stop. Then periodiacally after that.

Do you know if it is recommended to try to walk the dog right after that....or save that for another time?

I guess I really need to get that book!

Thanks for the responses.

And yes....we are doing 3-4 puppy bumpers a day. At this point he usually brings the first 2-3 back to me, and then sits and plays with it if I go to the 4th. He wont come if I am laying on the ground at all being an fool for a few secs, but if I turn my back to him and don't pay attentiont to him he will bring it back to me..... I think I will keep it to 2-3 times for now. He is starting to get a bit hyper when he sees it!!!

If the dog likes to bite the leash get a light metal or chain one. They don't like to bite that. Like others have mentioned staking the dog out will teach him to give to the collar. Hound guys chain their dogs together to teach them to go with the flow. Lastly...keep in mind that you are working with a baby. You wouldn't get made at a human infant for learning slowly.

I defenitely know I still have a baby!!! When I start getting frusterated we stop and I remind myself it will (hopefully) come with time and patients!! I am def. letting the pup enjoy being a pup!

Hey - former trainer here - been a few years.

However, I would use dragging the leash for the benifit of useing a 50' lead and not the healing order.

Get the heal and sit down - make sure he understands your hand slap (or whatever) to your side. Then, take a step out to and encorage him to follow at your hip (positive at ALL time during this age). Then have him heel and sit after 1-2 steps again with your hand/whistle signals. After he has this idea going well then introduce the leash.

Remember, you can take 2 steps back at this age instead of forward~

My $.02

B2