• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iceducer cable on LX3

krawpete

Question

11 answers to this question

I have heard that the transducer only needs to be 6" below the water level, even if the ice is 20" or so, the cone angle will still go through the hole w/o any interference. I have used mine in 16-18" of ice with no problems at only 6-8" under the water level, easy enough for me to remove when those big lakers hit. Hope that works...you may just want to try and find that magic spot that you know where you can leave it w/o any interference. I know that for sure you can't keep it any closure to 6" from the top or you will deffinetly have some interference.

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

I was thinking the same thing on the cable length. I found the cable was long enough if you shoveled off the snow pack but if your a hole hopper that isn't an option. If your in a permanent the hight of the floor and blocking adds to the problem. If you can't get below the ice make sure your ducer isn't laying against the side of the hole. This will keep the face of the ducer level and eliminate any back clutter.

I think another foot or 2 anyways woulda been nice. I took mine off the shuttle it came with and put on an extra Zercom shuttle and arm system I had laying around. This shuttle allows a little bit more of the cable to be used for lowering it a bit deeper if needed, and it now will fit into a bucket as well.

Perhaps Marcum will come out with a short extension for folks that may need more length in a permanent house in the future.

fiskyknut

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

This is too funny,
we were saying the same thing on Upper Red Lake this past weekend. A foot would be nice, 2 feet even better.

It is a great unit, it worked flawlessly as is and I don't consider the above to be much of a drawback. It's just one of those things that would be nice to have.

No problem a transducer extension cable is available hit this page http://www.marcum.com/products/flashers/flasher_main.aspx. I'm a hole hopper, my goal is to drill as many holes as I can in a given fishing zone. After 2 years using the LX3 I've never wanted an extension. I do understand that some of you guys mount your unit in your house or you mount it on your dash, for this you need to buy an extension. The cable is five feet long and as of Sunday the ice on Red is three feet.

Behmer, the ducer should be right at the level where the water meets the ice. No need to be 6 inches under the ice.

[This message has been edited by wgmsa (edited 02-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 02-26-2004).]

Maybe what I wrote was confusing, the transducer needs to be at least 6" from the Top of the ice, at the opening of the hole, not 6" below the bottom of the ice ie, 3 feet below the ice at red, which would make it 3 feet and 6", just 6" from the top of the hole. I may of been confusing to some.

But we all now agree that extra cable is needed if you mount the box 2 feet and 6" above the ice surface, on a shelf or deck.

Thanks

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

It's true wgmsa,
only at this time of year would a person even think about the need for a longer electronics cable.

Of the 5' of cable 8"-10" are used going from the unit to the cable arm. I had ice that was 42" and snow that was another 8"-10".

My cable did work fine in those conditions and I admit it's a rare occasion for these types of conditions. I really didn't need the extra foot or two for sure.

I certainly don't want 10', but another foot or two would be nice to have as a comfort factor smile.gif.