• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A LITTLE GUN SHY

DUCKJ

I started to train my 1 year old pup and get her used to gun fire and she seems to be a litte shy from the noise. Insted of useing a real gun I started by useing a cap gun and she still dont seem to care for it to much. Any help in this matter would be great. Thank.

Also, dose any know if there is a trainer in the Brainerd area that would be willing to start my dog (with retives and getting used to guns) with me finishing her?.

Duck

It's worth every penny to put your dog through a "bird and gun intro" Talk to a trainer before you do anything else.

My pup was at a bird and gun intro for the last two weeks and I was very impressed when they took me out in the field today and shot a few birds over her.

Metro Joe, you and I were on the same page when we were posting on that other thread, and I too received my pup back right at the same time as you and I can't say enough how happy I am with how the pup performed at the post 2 week training camp where they had her flush birds and then shoot 12 gauge over her, ducks too, very impressive for a 6 month old pup. Now I need to get her back on birds as soon as I can!

TMan

Some trainers are probably going to start filling up. I spent about 600 for a 2-3 week bird and gun intro. It's a great feeling to see the finished product and see the association between the gun and birds. I'm pretty sure I would have screwed it up.

I think you guys hit the nail on the head, birds and intro to gun fire. Get them so in love with birds that when you start firing the cap gun/.22/shotgun all they're going to do is want to go after the birds and not even bother with the loud noice. Its not that hard to introduce a dog to gunfire, all it takes is patience and learning to read you dog, is it ignoring the noise or is it getting nervous? But its a very important step that some guys get lazy over and just take them out hunting and banging away, only to find out that Fido doesn't like guns. Take some time and do it right.

I'd recommend where I took my pup, West Country Kennels in Glencoe area (Brian Rausher), tell him Phelps Floater sent you. He was recommended by Wings & Whistles (Dave) when I tried to get in there but they were full the weeks I needed her to get in. Here's some pics of my girl(s)... smirk.gif

Beachin' it

P7040032.JPG

Tee ball

P6160017.JPG

P3120010.JPG

And when she was a pup

TMan

Boy oh boy, we were on the same page.

My pup was at Wings and Whistles. Mike and Dave are great guys.

My ES is going back to W & W in September, but I may have to take a look at West Country Kennels for my Lab.

Great pics by the way.