• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastics Preference

CrappieJohn

[Note from Admin: Click Here to see CrappieTom Plastic Stub-tail Grubs or Rat-tail Grubs.]

This past spring season brought with a lot of challenges. The weather seemed to never get "just right" and the water had a real tough time stabilizing temp-wise. Nonetheless, fishing went ahead as always: some days great, others not so great. This particular season also presented me with the opportunity to do some close camparisons on the new Stub Grub as compared to the Culprit Paddletail when used for crappies.

To be as accurate as possible, I limited my research to three basic colors very common to both products: black/chartreuse, blue/chartreuse (new in the Culprit) and purple/charteuse (Junebug/chartreuse in Culprit). While other colors exist in both products I stayed with colors that were very close to eliminate an imbalance. (To note though: many other colors in both products caught fish all spring but were not included in this little study or the fish totals usedin it.) All of these were fished on a 1/32 or 1/16 ounce black jighead of collarless design and fished under a float. If a color change was made, both baits got changed. Same went with the head weight. Depth changes were done likewise. Casting the baits was done alternately, three casts at a time. The fish, when caught were simply added to the count, not measured. This data comes only from days when I fished solo to allow myself the concentration to do this. As mentioned earlier, this was about crappies only, sunfish not being counted in here at all. Here is what I came up with.

These trips yielded a total of 1277 fish, beginning as soon as the ice went out far enough for me to get the boat in the water. There were six 100+ fish days (142 the best for a three hour jaunty)and five over fifty fish. The balance was scattered in numbers.

Ironically, the best day was early on and came when water temps were still quite cold (48 degrees) and the fish were still found deep (8-15 feet or more). The largest fish taken this spring also came on this trip and the others a trip or two on either side of it. The other 100+ days were later on, after the bedding had set in in earnest. Those fifty fish + days were at times when we had a front pending within a day or less and the water was at it's at-the-time highest while doing it's temperature roller-coaster. These were also times that the fish were relating heavily to shoreline breaks and structure such as sunken wood and were taken from water anywhere from two feet down to six feet down in water of that depth or greater. The best ten days were days when the water was not exactly dirty, but carried some additional color. Skies seemed to not be much of a factor.

Of the 1279 fish taken using these two baits, 902 were taken on the Stub Grub when fished according to what I described. Color preference went purple/chartreuse, blue/chartreuse, and finally black/chartreuse. The latter two colors were about the same for fish counts in both the Stub Grub and the Culprit paddie, but in both baits the purple did the fish catching.

During those infrequent times where I used a 1/16 ounce head, I noticed that they accounted for far fewer fish while using the Stub Grub. The Culprit's ability to take fish seemed not to dwindle when fished on the larger heads. This was consistant thru all the colors sampled. It is my contention that the ringed bodies of the Stub Grub comes into play with drop rate in a big fashion when they are hung on a light head. Certainly they stay inside the strike window much longer. When on the larger heads, I haven't a clue as to why the Culprit would show a dominance, but I will assume it has something to do with the amount of water resistance being able to get that tail working a bit better on an un-assisted drop or a slight jig. The Stub Grubs are slightly thicker thru the body and those rings are meant to stop water. They may do so too well at times. I don't ply too much weight on the 1/16 head info though. Like I mentioned earlier, I seldom use the 1/16 in this fashion of fishing.

Both of these baits took fish during a spring period quite unlike any I have seen in years. Fishing was tough. I would hazard a guess that I fished more miserable weather this year than in past years and perhaps that accounts for the numbers being what they are for the Stub Grub. I have known, thru developing these (Stub Grubs), that they were dynamite when the fish got lockjaw from cold fronts. And yes, color does matter. On some days the color changes were coming every ten minutes. On other days I never had to change a thing and still hammered fish.

Drop rate is apparently much more an issue than I had imagined. Not only will the weather tone down the fish, but water temp too is another factor that demands a slow drop. On the best day when the water was at 48 degrees, 21 of the total were caught using the Culprit. The drop rate was the only influencing factor involved. This also shows that cold water does not necessarily equate to needing bait.

While not used as an active participant in this study, the Exude Micro Shads showed real stand-up showmanship when I had to downsize in a serious way. Another paddletail in design, these little scented guys were able to sucker those really negative fish when dropped down INTO the wood where these crappies had retreated. Yes, I lost some jigs down there in the mess that crappies tend to dig into when they are not in the mood for fun, but it does serve to show how the basic paddletail profile is one that is fast becoming a fish getter. Those with the scent factor can be deadly when on-the-nose presentations are needed. As a bonus, these little guys are murder on sunnies anytime.

Do fish show preferences to plastics? Absolutely! While the differences may appear almost negligable to the eye, there are strong qualities that make these differences all-important to consider. Color is one quality....are the colors bright and clean looking? Profile comes into play....how will this drop in the water? Too fast with this head or too slow with that one? Don't fret over too slow. When it comes to crappies there is no such thing.

More than anything , this little bit of research has shown me anew that letting the fish dictate wants is very important. If a person gets in a rut with just one bait, it can get darned hard to get out of. Changing a color, changing a profile....done so simply and quickly and it can make the day. Literally. Think about it.

Some plastics will tear easier with a collared jig, that's one of the main reasons. The plastics that Tom is talking about (Stub Grub, Rat Tail, Paddytail) are all thinner in diameter and are more likely to tear-up easier with collared jigs. Collarless jigs won't tear-up the plastic bodies and the life of the plastic increases.

Collarless jigs also incorporate a different action on the presentation. The weight is more focused on the head of the jig and not so much dispearsed throughout like with a normal collared jig. This can give the jig/plastic combo a more "top-heavy" appeal and action.

But, I would say the main reason for the collarless jig is to take away some of the abuse from the plastic and prevent them from tearing.

I'm sure there are other reasons for a collarless jig too...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

On all smaller sized plastics like the ones mentioned, I will always use a collarless head for the reasons Matt has given. Too many people think that the plastic will slip off without the barb or collar, but they are missing the boat. IF I encounter problems with a plastic slipping on the hook shank, I simply tap on a drop of suoerglue and the problem ends. I haven't needed the glue for about two years now, however I do still carry it.

That collar protruding back into the body of some plastics will cause them to act "stiff" and really hinders the inherent action. You have to remember that these small plastics rely a ton on balance and that sliver of lead in the front of the plastic can really throw that off.

And being thrown to extremely well-sited fish like the crappies, these collarless heads keep everything looking very natural.

I still have some collared heads from years past in the box....why I don't know. I guess I just need the extra weight for exercise. It has been about four years now since I have had one tied to the line.

Keep in mind now that my preference for these heads is in the panfish world. When I am doing the plastics thing for walleyes and sauger, the jigs have the keeper barb. They are needed there to prevent tear-off from all the teeth.

I have both t he collored and collorless jigs in my box. I'm using more the the thin profile finess plastics and like Tom and Matt mention the collorless jigheads excell there. Only thing I use the collored jigs for are tubes and some of the thicker plastics I occasionally use. I'm using the scenic tackle jig heads for both applications. There hooks are very sharp and the paint holds up very well. In the collored version coloed hooks are also available.

Borch

I have to say, I have used tiny 1" twister tails in the past on 1/32 jig heads. The Rat Tail from Crappie Tom on a collarless jig is simply: lasts longer. I have probably caught 50+ nice crappies + perch and sunnies on 1 body.

I was out on a weed flat where it was 3-5 on top and within 30-40 yards, it is 25 feet. Along the way to the 25 feet it has weed shelves from 3 feet down to about 12-13 feet. It is Amazing, depending on the clouds/sun. There is nice sized Crappies/Walleyes, Sunnies and Northern. One time there on the top, next they are at 12 - 13 feet. We caught a nice 28.5 inch Walleye at 4:00 in the afternoon on a leech and a 1/64th white jig.

The color jig that has out produced all others is:....

Pink head(collarless)/ white body with a pink tail(rat tail). I have thrown many other color combo's at the Crappies; this on on this lake is unreal!! I haven't even tried the stub Grub yet. I have never caught so many crappies in all my life. Not just in this spot either, I have 4-5 really effective spots on a lake right next to Spectacle lake in Isanti county. (hint hint)lol.

Bob <>< smirk.gif

CRET....

Look to favor those Rats now until we start to see some early fall cooling of the water. Once the fall colors hint at getting started the Stub Grub will again be the king-pin. Right now the longer, more narrow profile offered by the Rat's tail mirrors the shape of this year's forage hatch.

As the water begins it's temp decline later on, those fish will be hunting for larger foods and the more aggressive tail action of the Stub Grub will fill that slot nicely. While the Stub Grub is the same diameter as the Rat at the body and is actually shorter than the Rat length-wise, that paddletail adds the bulk to the profile to fill that need for a slightly larger bait.

I really like to see that you have keyed on a color which is specific to the waters you fish. Too many peole entering the plastics game figure that plastic is like a baseball cap: one size fits all. Not the case whatever. Every lake's water color comes into play in establishing a go-to pattern for it. You may find several that share a preferred color pattern within close proximity to one another, but you can also have neighboring waters that are miles apart in color preference, but still look the same to the eye. It is also possible for a lake to have one color pattern dominate at one end and another at odds to it at the other. Great observation there!

Went out in Green lke again last night for three hours. This is getting redicules!! 3 of us, I can't believe it, we caught well over 100-200 Crappies, and could have kept about half. (all went back) They were so aggressive, we anchored in 5 and let rope out till we were swaying from 8-13 feet. (50 + feet of rope)The wind was strong. We drove over the weed line and my Marcum Lx3 was absolutely loaded with fish on the bottom - to 3-4 ' up from the bottom. It was a mssive school obviously feeding on the wind blowing stuff off the top of the weeds.

Here is the kicker: the bigger fish were caught when the Rats made it down closer to the bottom, my friend put on a heavier jig head,(Pink) and it was a little more effective to get past the first wave of hungry biters. Again the Rat stood alone!! The colors we used were:

Pink(head)/ white(body) pink(Tail) excellent!!

Orange/ black/orange Very Good!!

Pink/ black/purple Good until dark.

The biggest were in the 10-12 range with good thickness!!

Al went back! Eating Walleye tonight, no need to take fish when you already have a couple of meals in the fridge/freezer.

P.S. Beleive we had a 25" or better walleye on also,got off

Bob

Bob

I was thinking of ordering some stub grubs and rat grubs. Funny, I am making a killing using Culprit paddletails lately, but price per 100 is cheaper for Crappie Tom's plastics. Let me get something straight though. I thought the rat tail one was good during post frontal conditions, but I am reading here that these rat tails are the "go to" right now in the midst of summer, and the stub grub later on in autumn, am I right? Explain please!

Cal.....

You are right on both counts with the Rats.

Post frontal conditions often require that we shed some profile to get hits and to slow down the activity level of the bait as well. The rat tail fits into this arena nicely.

An the other hand, we need to stay in tune with the appearance of the forage which is currently available in the waters.....meaning either fish fly larva wriggling toward the surface as the waters warm or young of the year forage fry. The long thin tail offers a very similar appearance to both of these foods. In either case, the crappies seem to ignore the bulky body and hone in on the tail piece where the action is at....what action there is to be found there that is.

I hope this helps you understand some of the complex ideas behind the use of plastics and how being aware of what is happening in the water is an important part of deciding what to dress a jig with.

When I stated the developement of these plastics, I began with the CrappieRat concept first, looking for a summertime plastic that would match up to young of the year fry. Other whip(rat tailed) tailed baits were producers but seemed to fall so fast that it was hard to keep them in the strike window easily without a float. The fish were generally quite deep during the developement period and fishing with a light jig was an all day affair if a slip float was used. What I found right away was that the ribbed body, while larger in diameter than I thought it should be, played little against the bait and that the tail was the attraction along with the slow fall. When given a slight jg on a free line thse dart and hop like forage too.

So yes, your first statement was as correct as your second question.

Thanks Tom. Man, I am going through the plastics! The gills love to bite the paddletails off, leaving the thin piece between the body ant the tail. Interesting thing is, I have taken some casts after a bite-off, and have actually caught decent fish on this profile (paddletail bitten off, that is). Perhaps this also imitates the profile of young fry as the rat tail?