• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cannot Get them to Bite!!!!

I have seen carp swimming non-chalantly all the time in Lake Zumbro, and St Croix. They are usually like 1-2 feet deep and swim in small groups of 2-7. However, I can never get them to bite. I have tried float with worms, carp dough bait, and canned corn....and nothing at all. I have even tried crank baits but I have in my like only caught one on a crank bait. I think it might be a fluke. In the past, when we did not want to catch carp and despised it, we have always accidentally caught them with Lindy Rig system. So...now I want them, HOW DO I GET THEM TO TAKE NOTICE OF MY BAIT AND START BITING??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

The area that I've been fishing lately (slack water river area) has been full of carp. I'm targeting Channel Cats with cutbait and fortunately haven't hooked up with the carp yet. A few gentleman have been fishing for carp with corn and a few have been fishing for whatever with nightcrawlers. I've seen one carp actually caught in the last couple weeks and it took a nightcrawler on the bottom. The guy fishing with corn the other day caught more catfish than carp.

The carp are all over the place and surfacing very regularly. Not being a carp expert, I'm not sure if they are gulping air or feeding on small bugs on the surface. I've seen them swim by and investigate just about anything floating on the surface. This leads me to believe they might be feeding. I'm thinking a floating fly of somekind might be the ticket to catching these fish.

I'd guess that the carp you are seeing are in full spawn right now, especially if they are cruising in groups that shallow. It's real tough to catch them when the males are chasing the females around. You'll probably have better luck in a week or two. - Vern

i have had similar expirience. in the spring i was just pounding the carp on the Mississippi near my home and about fathers day they shut off and i can see them thrashing around in very shallow water, sometimes almost rolling up into the grass! There is always a big one and a smaller one so I just assumed they were mating, while trying to catch them i catch dozens of small catfish where the carp are, i figure they are eating the spawn?