• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spoiled atheletes

Eric Wettschreck

From Fox Sports article about Jeremy Roenick.

In a profanity-laced rant at a news conference for Mario Lemieux's charity golf tournament Saturday, Flyers center Jeremy Roenick ripped into fans who have been critical of the NHL Players' Association throughout the current NHL lockout.

"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks,'' Roenick said. "Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can kiss my a--.

"I will say personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous. We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey.''

Personally, I'm not jealous and it's a good thing you don't want me in the stadium cuz after this past season we'd both be disappointed. Good thing yous guys didn't play a game or I may have been tempted to buy a ticket.

Yeah, JR isn't helping the cause. He sure sounds like a spoiled athlete...

I did find it interesting that he referred to 'the deal we'll be signing in July'. I saw where one of the owners made the a similar comment to a deal being done in July. Makes me wonder...we may see the announcement during the baseball all-star break...when it is a comparatively slow sports-news cycle?

Hmmmm.....

I like Roenick, he has passion and might not have said the right words, but he has passion for the game. He was trying to explain what the players were giving up and how they have sacrificed, but you could tell his emotions got the best of him. He also said that he's only going to be in the league for a few more years so he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his comments.

I don't think he used the right words, but I love honest players who have a true passion for the game.

if you had a a chance to listen to the WHOLE interview and not just the exerpts from what the press takes it's not that bad. For some weird reason the press made it look worse than it appears. grin.gif

do you consider your self part of the group he was commenting on? He wasn't commenting on "fans" in general more so the fly by your seat fans from tampa bay that just liked hockey for 2 month last spring.