• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to Sharpen Jiffy Power Blades???

bigminnow

Question

I was out punching holes the other day and my auger which is 4 years old is just shaving ice. I looked to see what new Jiffy d"Icer 10" blades cost $50, and decided I might try to sharpen them. My question is, is it similar to hand augers where all you do is just take a flat file to the BOTTOM of the blade? I have done that with my old Mora and it works great.
Any help would be appreciated?

9 answers to this question

big minnow just get a fine file and be carefull to keep it at the same angle as the edge is and sharpen it up. Make sure you do the tip that is very important to do also. I've done this a couple of times a season for about the last five years and i still have the sane blade and drilled thousands of holes. This is one of the best things about having a auger that chips the ice. You don't have to spend hunderds of dollers on blades

------------------
minnesota mac

I have an 8" Jiffy that is about four years old now. Put a new blade on last year and it cuts fine until I get to the point where it needs to punch through then grabs hard. Have to pull up and hit the bottom of the hole again to finish the cut. Any ideas?

I have the same problem with my Jiffy. The way I correct it is when I'm about to go through I make sure I'm not putting any pressure on the auger, it make a big difference. Just let the auger do the work.

------------------
Jimmy

I'll have to try that the next time out. I guess I'm just too anxious!

The problem may be moreso with the new blade as well. Before with the dull one it never really grabbed as hard and it's been so long since I've run with a sharp one I forgot.

That could very well be the cause. My jiffy is new and the blade does cut very aggressively. Once they are used a season I would venture to guess the problem will go away.

------------------
Jimmy

LMITOUT,
Yea, what Jimmy said. You need to keep the pressure off when your about to go through the ice. You can even lift up on them a bit. You'll get the feel of it - just need to keep the RPM's up or they will hang up.