• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which side are you on?

As we begin to see the spawn taking place on a more widespread level now, people are asking about where the fish go . One day they are in one spot and the next day they are not. Now is a good time to consider what each day bring in the line of sunshine.

Was yesterday, when you were catching crappies up shallow, cloudy and windy? Was today not as good as yesterday even tough the sun was shining and the wind had relented? It this was the case, you may have passed by those "non hitting" fish.

Crappies are very light sensitive. When they come up shallow to spawn, these blue bird days make them uncomfortable, so much so that they will back off spawn activity until they have darker conditions to do so. But once that bed is made, they are not likely to be leaving it. So why don't they bite? Maybe you are approaching them from the wrong side.

For the last two days I have had a riot with crappies staging to spawn on the first shallow break in our local lake. Cloudy skies were prevalent on the two previous days while today was high skies...period. When I started my fishing today it became very apparent that the fish were NOT going to hit anything in the direct sunlight unless I had my back to the sun and cast in the direction in which I was looking. These fish literally had their backs (tails facing) to the sun. Casting in the other direct (into the sun) only broadcast my presence and when I retrieved the fish never even saw my bait....it came up from behind them.

My best fishing occured where there was a line of obvious shade. I could cast the jig to that visible line of shade and the fish would pounce on it. Cast into the open sunshine five feet away and the cast would come back untouched. Cast too far back intothe shade and the same results. But that definite shade line was the hottie for me. This is no new event for me either. I have found this enario many times.

Bed bound fish and spawning fish are not going to go anywhere too far from their digs. How you approach such fish can make a huge difference in how well your day turns out. When you find yourself in a situation where things are just not what they were yesterday, ask yourself which side of the sun are you on. It can be a big factor!

I generally look for the deepest water that crappies hold in and try to jig them up out of it. If a long streatch of cool weather hits, the fish may come up and enjoy some topside play.

Deep weed edges are good starting spots for lakes with deep weeds. Mid lake humps in deep water with weeds topside are another good approach. Shorelines with multiple breaks hold crappies then. Channels between two lakes will be places to look as long as the water is deep enought and has some structure to attract/hold them.

If it were me and the lake to be fished has a deep weedline, I'd be looking at that.

And I almost forgot....Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com!

Thanks for the tips and thanks for the welcome. An incredible amount of great info being shared. Have you fished summer crappie in the Deer River area? We'll be having a family reunion on Ball Club Lake in early/mid July.

Great points Tom, and I'd like to add some comments as well.

Once a man picks a spot and fans his bed, he's more than likely not going anywhere, regardless of sun/no sun in my findings. I've also learned that if you throw a bait in the bed of a spawning/protecting fish, they'll hit eventually to get it out of there. On Monday I watched numerous males pick up my bait, spit it from the bed, and go about their business. Great to watch!

As for the Deer River area zax, I would look to deep weed edges, cabbage that hits that 9-11 foot range should suffice on our Northern lakes. During the hottest days of the year, on calm sunny days, you can still catch crappies in the cabbage if you hit the right patch of it! As Fall drawns near, and the temps. begin to slowly fall, I begin searching mid-lake structure and humps, as well as suspended fish in the deeper holes.

Deer River area in July = some darn good Crappie fishing.

Leave the bait at home and the bobbers in the box.

Free casting 1/32 oz. jigs on to the visible weed edges will pick up tons of Crappies.

The bite at times can get so fast and easy that a fella doesn't even know how many fish he's caught after a couple hours.

Like Matt said, them cooler, cloudy or rainy days can see the Crappies come nearer the surface.

I've caught Crappies over 15-20 feet of water in July, 1-2 feet down in the right conditions.

I've also caught them in 3 feet of water, so don't be afraid to explore the depth span.

Good luck!

Interesting post...

I was dealing with this type of situation all of today.... I fished with my fiancee for an evening stint, and the fish, crappies and gills, were pushed up tight in the reeds, sometimes in a half foot of water. The funny thing is, as the sun came out, you could only find the fish on the east facing shorelines, where it was very shaded. But then, if the clouds came through, we could find fish on all shorelines. And today, when the clouds came, it ment a rain shower. Well as we seen the clouds moving closer and closer, the fish would really start popping. Another interesting note, a lot of the crappies in the area I was fishing in must of been attacked by either a pike or muskie. A lot of big cuts to the tails of the smaller crappies. I did manage to catch two small pike and one smaller muskie in the area.

Very fun day on the water, no huge fish to speak of, but some nice ones for Hannah to catch on her first panfish outing of the year.

hannahgill1largewebview9tp.jpg

namakagon052705largewebview4yw.jpg

Matt and U.J., thanks for the tips. I've got a lake map and already have identified some good looking areas. I will be buying my first boat next week, looking 17.5 or 18, do either of you know anything about Monark Boats?

I would post a question about Monark boats in the Equipment Forum. I know Dennis Steele owns a Monark, he might be able to help some, or else Surface Tension should be able to help in that forum as well.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson