• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Atv Yammy vs Bombardier

DRH1175

I am looking at the Kodiak 450 and the Outlander. Those who have these which way would you go? Also any others that I should take a serious look in this size class. I just want a hard working Fishing/hunting atv that is reliable and a good cold starter.

I have a Kodiak 400 and my brother-in-law has the 450. They are great cold starters. The 450 will go where the 400 won't becaues you can lock the front end.

For pure lugging power it's hard to beat the Polaris 500 HO. But then again you have a much heavier machine.

I have a 400 Sportsman and an Outlander. There are things that I like about each. They both go through about the same amount. I looked at all of the different brands with a 400 class wheeler. I went with the Outlander because it was light, came with a factory 3 year warranty and when you look at the rear end it looks a lot less cluttered than my Polaris. I got the XT package and have been happy with it. Another thing I like it that the radiator is up high, so when you go through a swamp it doesn't collect all the sludge like my Polaris. I think that every maker has good wheelers, it is more of a personal preference. The reason I ruled out the Yamaha from the start was that the salesman wasn't real friendly and acted like it was a burden for him to answer my questions. Whichever choice you make, I don't think it will be a bad one. Good luck with your decision.

I went with the Kodiak 450.. I have an 03 model that has 2600 miles on it now.. 1 set of brake pads, 1 headlight... thats all the maintenence this thing has needed.. and many of my miles were the extremes of *off the beaten path*. My machine started in well below -30 last winter when the truck wouldnt. I havent even had to change a spark plug.. thats a 1st.

The extended warranty (3 year) cost me a few extra dollars and I havent had to use it for anything besides the routine check ups for warranty purposes(also pays for them), but that security factor is there is I were to need it in the future.

If, and when I buy another machine, it will another Kodiak 450.. it has enough power to do anything I have ever needed it to(including skidding logs day in/day out), and it is considerably lighter than its big brothers(Grizzly's)... If I needed the bigger machine, I'm sure I would go the griz.. but I dont.

The Kodiak 450 is only around 10 lbs lighter than the Grizzly,and about $500 more.The Kodiak and the Bomb. are top of the line wheelers in the 400 class.The Bomb. has plastic racks and is a little bigger (bodywise) than the Yamaha.The Kodiak has a differential lock for the front wheels,while the Bomb.doesn't.It uses a system called Visco lock,which works pretty well but not as positive as the differential lock(ALL FOUR wheels are pulling in this model).And yes the polaris's are HEAVY!Sportsman 500 HO =715lbs Bombardier Outlander 400HO =592lbs Yamaha Kodiak 450 = 491lbs. And also for the heck of it Yamaha Grizzly 660 = 600lbs.

The outlander has true 4 wheel drive, all 4 tires will turn. You can have it in 4x4, but it will run in 2x4 until a wheel slips, then it will transfer power to the wheels that are not slipping.

The outlander in my opinion is top of the line in the 400 class, maybee the 500 class too. Look at some professinal atv tests and you'll see the results. It was atv of the year in 2003 for a good reason.

Ole

The outlander is a great machine.Make some differant noises than the rest but seems to be reliable.I would like to know how other guys get them to start when it is real cold.It would not even turn over with the starter when it gets lower than 20-.It would only start with the pull start and that took some pullin.Burl.

We were on red lake and it was -35 but i have noticed even

when it has been below zero it cranks kind of hard even when it has been in the shed.Is this a battery issue?Do they make a battery with more cranking power?Burl.

I have a '04 Honda rancher 350 ES and my brother has a Bombardier. The rancher is very dependable and a great workhorse. The Outlander has a better suspension. Both 4x4's get used for ice and farm use where we see some rough terrain. Have had some warranty work done on the ES on the Honda.

yamaha. I have a 4 year old Kodiak and have noo problems with it at all. pull the 17 ft fish house out in the winter with it and use it bear hunting and dear hunting in the fall- have went across sloughs etc. laugh.gif. no problems at all. I bought mine from a dealer who sold yamaha. polaris and artic cat. when trying to decide they brought me back in their shop and said look around Out of app. 20 machines only one yamaha. the rest were polaris and artic cat. they said they seldom get a yammaha that need s fixin- they just keep on tickin.

I agree 100%. I also have a 4 year old (2001) Kodiak 400. The thing is a beast in the mud and trails. Knock on wood, but it just doesn't break down!!!!! Buddies Polaris Sportsman 500 HO has been in the shop 7 times in 9 months...Doesn't seem worth it does it? I love the Kodiak!

~umdr6 grin.gif

Quote:

when trying to decide they brought me back in their shop and said look around Out of app. 20 machines only one yamaha. the rest were polaris and artic cat. they said they seldom get a yammaha that need s fixin- they just keep on tickin.

Wow so Yamaha has reinvented the Wheel, that's amazing we need to spread the word....LOL......

Oh my friends neighbors cousin's great aunt twice removed has had 3 Yamahas and all have been in the shop 11 times in only 3 months, yet her uncles grampa's neice on Clems side has an 88 Polaris Sportman with 13,243 miles and has never been in the shop.

Go Figure.... ooo.gif