• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trouble with mini stealth floats

Anybody else have trouble with the little rubberband sliding down on the stem of the float? I have tried using two with mixed results. In the end same problem. I have tried twisting the line 1/2 turn around the stem and still same thing. (mini stealth #2)

Any suggs?

Brandt

Ahh, come on guys, you trying to tell me that I'm the only one that has a problem with the bands slipping down and/or ripping! You only get one band with the bobber in the pack. What do you do with the bobber when you don't have a band. It looks like I can only use it as a slip bobber, with a stop.

No body else experience this??

- Brandt

Put a small piece of electrical tape around the bottom of the bobber to make the shaft thicker wink.gif Might affect the float a little, but a small amount just to up the diameter shouldn't hurt.

river rat. for extra sleeves; go to an auto supply or archery shop. the rubber vacum tubbing or the tubing used for peep sites in the small dia, makes good replacement sleeves. just buy a foot of it and use a razor blade to cut them into short pcs. then you'er set! del grin.gif

I have been using a knot on these without an issue, I run the line through the bobber up to the knot then take the sleeve and push it over the knot on to the bobber, The sleeve is not run on the line (the line does not go through the sleeve) I just push it over the line and knot and it have worked well for me,, I also use medical tubing for replacement sleeves it works well and stays put !!!!

Thanks guy for all the feedback, some things to check out.

Tom, I was hoping to hear from you.

I'm using Trilene 6lb mono with a 1/32 oz jig (no weight other than jig head). Line is new and I just spooled it up this Spring. Rod is a 6' Okuma Celilo Ultralite rod with a Tica Cetus GV500 reel.

I can't seem to get those bands to hold up. They slip and tear regularly. I am very pleased with the information that the stealth transmits, an example being the up hit; Very sensitive. Any advice would be great.

I did buy (without noticing) a mini stealth "supreme", I am fairly happy with the way this float is fastened. It does not slip. Takes a toll on the line though.

- Brandt

Rat.....Sorry to hear that the floats plague you with torn tubing. I have never in all the years I have fished these had tubing tear unless I had been snagged and forced the issue. Normal fishing will allow those tubes to hold up for a season of use, but I do tear them in snaggy situations and do carry replacement tubing ( usually sold right next to the floats)if this occurs. The only other instance of tearing I have ever seen aside fron snag issues was when the float/tubing were not installed correctly. The line goes thru the hole in the float stem, then thru the tubing, then the tubing is slid all the way up the stem to the float body. If you follow the line from the reel when done this way, the path will go from rod to float body, under the tubing, along the stem and then thru the hole in the stem and finally to the lure.

i may get a why for this; but! grin.gif years back the stealth,( i think) came with a metal eye in the body of the float that you ran your line thru , then into the hole at the bottom of the stem, and thru the tubbing. the new ones don't come this way! i like having the float rigged this way. still very sensitive and puts little pressure on the tubbing.soooo! i modify the new ones by taking a small bait hook,( one that has the barbs on the shank) cutting it so i have the just the eye and one of the barbs, then putting this into the body of the float and glueing it.gives me the older style that i love!!!

I remember those too, Del. They worked great for bait fishing, but for the plastics and hair, I find that the line that high up on the float body really cuts back on the ability to detect the softest of upward hits. With the bait's weight being supported solely along the stem of the float, any upward lift is immediately detected....and I mean "right now"! I have had sunnies hit up and only lay that float part way over and stay there with it that way for several seconds.

What it really boils down to though, is what you grow accustomed to. If it works for you and you are happy with things that way, go for it. That's the beauty of fishing plastics.... you can have two very skilled people fishing in the same boat, using similar but different techniques and everyone catching fish. There is no absolute here.

Del, CTom-

Here is what I have been doing with the non-metal stealth #2 float.

First I load the line through the float, band, then tie on the jig. Slide the band over the line and to the highest part of the float stem. Are you guys putting the band on first?

I looked at the empty spool that I used to load the reel, it was 6 lb Micro Ice Trilene. Maybe this in my problem? Does this line tend to sink more that XT?

I also have to mention that I have been fishing at depths less than 5 feet. On the other hand, it has been very windy lately. The line seems to "ARC" out (carried by the wind) when casted, I do try to get out the extra slack out of the line before setting the hook would this extra drag on the line cause my problems?

I know not to use Flourocarbon with floats being that it has the tendancy to sink. I guess that I havn't noticed this to an extreme with the Micro Ice.

Thanks guys- Brandt

Brandt....Check the compostion of that line. I've used it before but never paid too much attention to the make-up. If it has any fluoro , even a coating, it will sink and add to the problems, both with the tearing of the rubberband and the arching in the wind. I do know that Micro Ice is designed for vertical fishing. It would be reasonable to assume then that it will have a sink factor involved. I have not personally used this product in the open water.

I'd recommend that you step down to 4 pound and go with Trilene xl. This reallydoessound like a line issue and there usually is a simple answer for those.

river. the arc out as you call it, is one problem we have to deal with when fishing in the wind. it can be a pain when trying to cast to a certain place with small lures, and the slack will hamper hooks sets some. i have no info about the line you are using, but agree with tom, i would go to 4# xl. i have also noticed that on the last two new floats i bought the collars don't last at all. get yourself some surgical tubbing or vacum hose so you have replacements.

delmuts, the "hole at the bottom of the stem" that you are talking about is something I found at JR's off of 169. They are located right across from the cashier counter. They have the rubber gasket kind too. Just an FYI so you don't have to do your own modifications any longer.

I looked around Park Rapids for some replacment tubing and found some model airplane fuel line at Radio Shack. The silicon rubber fuel line is 3/32 and 1/8 ID. Works well.

<BTW> Northern Bait has a good supply of the mini Stealths floats.

thanks for the info. since i'm located in iowa, i have to deal with what i can find here. luckily , i only have to buy one or two each year. ( i go to great lengths to collect/find any that get separated from me. grin.gif)

I have reviewed the package that contained the Micro Ice line. It doesn't deliver any information on line makeup. I have since re-spooled the reel with Trilene XT 4. I have yet to try this out, It can't be worse.

If I have any more issues after trying XT 4 lb, I'll certainly check into the tubing suggestions.

I do like the action the stealth float reveals in any given

situation. I just have to over come the compatible equipment issue.

Thank you to all for advise. Great to see all are in it for the same goal, a good day on the water!

Brandt

Rat.....

When fishing any jig under a float, you will encounter some line coiling. If you get this happeneing and it becomes a nuisance, just clip the jig off, remove the float and fire up at a slow speed while letting the line out to trail behind the boat. All you need to get off is thirty yards or so. Re-reel the line, pinching it between thumb and forefinger as you reel it in. This will get rid of the coiling issue and allow you to fish much "cleaner". I do this quite often myself....I have to or I'd go bonkers with snarls....just so you know.

That #4 XL is probably one of the most wide-spread and used panfish lines on the market today and I'm sure you will find favor with it.

Crappie Tom, Del, others-

I have been using the 4 lb XL for over a week now. Great stuff!! I have had no problems, WHAT-SO-EVER!! Thanks for

the tips. I have to assume that there is a coating on the line(nothing to indicate this on package though(Micro Ice)).

Now to try and get some Stub Grubs and check them out. Are they available online as of yet?

Thanks again- Brandt