• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mudlite A/T vs. X/L

umdr6

Ok. I know it has been talked about, but is it worth it to go with the bigger lug size (XL) rather than sticking with the normal lug size (AT)?

Is there a huge difference? I am looking for a whole set of four to put on my existing rims for a 2001 Yamaha Kodiak. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

~umdr6

Hi...

It will all depend on where you use your Kodiak the most. For hard packed trails, the larger lugs tend to "buzz" a bit at the bars. This is where the smaller AT lugs would be best. On the other side of the field... Wet, muddy or high traction situations call for the deeper XL lugs.

I'm running very aggressive tires (ITP 589) on both my Sportsmans. Personally, I don't mind the large lug "buzz" and with a careful thumb, the 589's don't rut up the trails any more than a smaller lugged tire...

Determine your "typical" riding style and buy tires accordingly....

Hope this helped....

I currently have a set of 25" mudlites with the smaller lugs on my Suzuki Vinson. I think they are great, the wheeler still feels sporty and handles good with them. I personally don't like tires over 25", they seem to make the wheeler ride rough and handling is lost. I think you can't go wrong with either, if you ride alot of mud get the deeper and if you do alot of trails and work get the standard; they won't rip up your yard as much either.