• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Casting light tackle

eyepatrol

I've got a question about casting light tackle and maybe you guys could help me out here.

The biggest problem I have is, when using a spinning reel and casting say a beetlespin for crappie or sunnies (for example), within about 3-5 casts I get a loop formed on my spool. When I pull line out to get the loop out, it ends up being a HUGE jumbled up mess and I end up cutting a bunch of line off and re-tying. And wasting time with my line out of the water nontheless!

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this situation once and for all? Because this happens so frequently to me, I usually switch to a closed-faced reel such as a Zebco or something, and I'm not a big fan of those kinds of reels.

Thanks for the help!

sounds like you may have a couple of problems. usually a bettle spin doesn't add a lot of twist, but if you think it is you could add a snap swivle or tie a swivle in your line a little head of it. if you are closing your spool by turning the handle, this will add twist to your line. try closing the bail with your hand. also you get twist in your line.( it just happens) if you see your line that your line is acting tha way. untie your lure and let the line out ( down stream, down wind, out accross a lawn) so it can unravel it self.( i do this oncew a week or more) when you load the spool be carefull to do it right.(reel on some line and lower your rod tip. if the line twist up , then flip the spool over ) if the line is a little older, let it out to relax. this should help.

I'm pretty sure I have your problem pegged here.. I dont think its due to line twist.. but that could also cause these problems.

I believe the problem you are having is due to the load(resistence) on your line after you make the cast. You wouldnt have these problems if you were casting a 1/2 oz lure and retrieving it, but now that your casting a light weight lure(1/16oz for a guess), your having the problems.

The first thing you need to do is be sure your using the proper rod/reel/LINE for the lure you are casting.. the proper rod will allow you to fish it most effectively.. but thats not the issue here.. I beleive its your line. For casting very light lures you need to be fishing with light, limp line.. 4 lb test is ideal, I prefer Trilene XL, not XT for this tye of fishing.

If the lure does not have enough resistence in the water to make your line lay tight on the reel.. within a few cast, your going to have all kinds of problems. The line will get loose on the spool and the next thing you know you try to make a cast and you have a birds nest, or a loop on your spool making its way off the reel with your primary line... usually turning into a funky, twisted knot. This is also a very common problem when your casting into a heavy wind with light tackle.. after the initial cast, when you close the bail and try to take up the slack.. if you dont hold tension on the line until you have contact with the lure.. you end up with loose line on the spool, and inevitably, it usually results in a tangle within a few cast.

How to avoid this...

be sure your reel is spooled properly with very good tension, and no twist when you spool your real with the proper weight line (4 lb test is ideal).

when you make a cast, be sure you immediately have some type of tension on the line.. if this means grabbing the line until your reel up the 3' of slack.. grab the line and let it slip through your fingers until the slack is gone and you have lure resistance.

These should take care of your problems.. once you use the line for a trip or 2, or have caught several fish on the line, itusually becomes far less maintenence due to a little line memory to the size of your spool(not factory line spool), and the fish you have caught will stretch out the line some and assure your line is tight on the spool.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Fisher Dave

EXACTLY!!!!!! You hight it right on the button! That's the exact problem I'm having, and have always had. Sounds like the line I'm using may be causing the problem, along with perhaps one or two other things. I typically just use my walleye rig and cut off whatever setup I have for walleyes and then tie on a panfish jig. My line is 8lb Trilene XT. Looks like I should go out and get some 4lb XL and maybe just go out and buy a panfish rod/reel setup.

When spooling line, I do reel up a few cranks, drop the rod tip and see if it's twisting or not, so I've got that part figured out. I do though have a habit of engaging the bail using the reel, and have heard that you should use your hand to engage the bail instead of the reel. So I'll keep that in mind too.

When you were describing the problem you thought I was having, I could just see it in my minds-eye the loop and line wrapping up and getting into a mess. It's a nightmare I tell ya!

Thanks SOOO much for the help!

Light baits and light line create all kinds of headaches. One of the biggest is the line tension-post-cast. Manually closing the bail is another "good habit" to get into. And when taking the line off the reel as Delmuts has suggested, I do it in the boat by simply allowing the line to trail behing while I idle forward at about trolling speed. When I reel the line back onto the reel, I run it between my thumb and the rod's foregrip, also while moving ahead. Another trick is to use a small piece of buckskin to pinch the line when reeling it back up.

Your suggestion towards getting a seperate panfish rig is a real solid idea and a worthwhile investment. A well balanced outfit will definitely get you into way more fish.

Crappietom,or someone, I bought this rod and reel at the sports show.

fenwick eagle GT, egts66l-2, 1/16-3/8oz,2-8lb,Lpower, with a Abu Garcia cardinal 501 Reel.

I have Berlkey vanish Transition 8lb on the spooled on to it. It has an extra spool should I bought a light weight line on that spool? what type of line? Also Is that a good rod and reel set up for shore fishing pannies, and other fish, should i get something lighter what whould you recemend? thanks for the help. Lynn

Let me add a suggestion/quick fix for you. If you are using a float then try a weighted bobber instead. This will get your bait out there farther and it also really helps casting accuracy in wind. This float helps keep some tension on your line so you get rid of some of those rats nest problems.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Gander, FleetFarms, and cabelas offer outfits that will suit you nicely . I'd look for something in a six foot ultralight to light action rod with a reel that doesn't seem too bulky for the rod. By staying with cheaper name brands you can still get a fairly good drag, which for panfish is probably a bit more important than a pricier rod. I think that 60 bucks would get a decent set-up and the line. Don't shortchange on the line though. #4 Trilene xl is an excellent all-round pannie line.