• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats Up ?

Its really bad when your so use to getting up at 4:00 AM during the week and can't sleep in on the weekends. Of course it doesn't help when I was so tried last night I went to bed around 8:00 PM. I must be getting old.

I keep checking the boards every day hoping to get word that my favorite Lake is open. Clear Lake in Iowa opened up the other day so I know the Southren Lakes in Minn. have to be opening up also. Weather for the weekend sounds really nice. I was hoping to be able to get up to our camper this weekend, but hubby has to go help burn down a building and play with the new fire truck they got.

So whats your weekend plans? I might meet up with some friends and go play bingo.

Hi Mary,

Hubby and I went to the Sports Show in Mpls. last night. I looked around alot, he was bored but used the time to make a business deal over the phone. (What a guy I'm married to, huh?) grin.gif It's a good thing he was making money while I was figuring out how I'd SPEND it! grin.gif

I fished from shore today and only lost one lure, so I was happy. I'm still striking out in the fish dept... but it was another nice day to be outside.

I found a Hobie Cat fishing kayak at the sports show last night that I want! You can pedal, paddle, or sail it! And it has rod holders and well, it looks like the perfect set-up for fishing. And a $1500 price tag. crazy.gif I'm going to have to start saving my pennies... grin.gif

Hey Ladies, Glad to see a few around here. I hear ya Mary on the getting up early. I took the girls swimming today, and went tried out the new rod and reel i got at the sport show yesterday. checked out some lakes pretty soon all will be open, some are able to shore fish but i think it will be a few more days of warm weather before the really start to bit. I might try 1 last day of ice fishing tomorrow.

take care everyone. Lynn

FisherMissis,

This is the first year we didn't go to the sports show. We would always make a weekend out of it. Seems like it was so late this year. We did get up to the camper after all. I got it all vacumed and dusted. Check out Fleet Farm they might have a boat like that or comparable for cheaper. They also have a great fishing department.

Lynno, Last year I came out of the sports show with a new rod and reel and a Leach Lake Filet Knife. I hope your carefull going out on the ice still. I would think it would be getting a little thin. How did the new rod & reel work for you? What kind did you get?

mary, I forgot I needed a new filet knive, the rod and reel is a fenwick eagle GT, egts66l-2, 1/16-3/8oz,2-8lb,Lpower, with a Abu Garcia cardinal 501 Reel.

I was looking for something for shore fishing since i do not have a boat, but yet something for more than just pan fish.

Hopefully it will work out good, it cast's really nice.

I never did go out ice fishing, took the dogs swimming and the way they way they were breaking thu the ice decided i should stay on shore. there were some other guys out there, but they probably were a lot lighter than me. I am no small gal, but i still have fun. just need to watch how much ice i am on.(LOL) grin.gif

thanks for the interest. Looking forward to long rod now.

Lots of shore opening up and the river is open too.

Hi Lynno,

Sounds like you got yourself a real nice rod & reel. I know fenwick really stands behind there products. We had one that had gotten broken once and took it back and they replaced it. They have a great feel to them. You'll really enjoy it.

I would think after this week all the ice should be about gone. I was hoping to beable to get out fishing some this coming weekend, but I have to go to a food show in Lacross Wiss. Hopefully the next weekend will be nice.

Oh I see you drive a Ford Focus also. I have a 2001 wagon. I really like the gas mileage compared to what my moutainer use to get.

Well off to work have a great day.

Well, ladies... I went out fishing twice this week. Still no luck. I still just look in the tackle box and get confused... is this lure for casting only or do I jig it? and if I am supposed to jig it... how do I do that? Then there's what size to use, etc. I STILL don't know what I'm doing!!!! But the weather is nice and the sunset was gorgeous last night. I still really enjoy being outside, so it's worth it. But I have to admit, I'm getting frustrated. I walk up to the shore, think to myself... yep, this is water... and fish live in water, so they MUST be in there... SOMEWHERE! Hmmm.... where should I try? Where would they be? What kind will I find? What if I come across a huge catfish... YIKES, I don't want one of those. I won't know how to handle it!!! Better go home and get the hubby so he can take it off my hook for me. grin.gif

Then hubby then comes along... is BORED... nice, but bored. And he smirks a bit at my obvious cluelessness. It turns out that he really doesn't need to be there at all, becasue I don't catch ANY fish. And, of course, I want to smack him... or push him in the water, making it look like an accident. smirk.gif

Well, that's MY fishing report! But I am COMMITTED to learning this stuff on my own, so...

Hey, do you know of any good dvd's that teach fishing techniques?

just keep trying, do you have any lakes my you that you can shore fish from? or I see you got the kyake(SP)so might be able to get out more than just from shore. I have been fishing since I could hold a rod and reel, but mostly just sunnies and such which are pretty easy. Then i got out of fishing for years and just now getting back into it. Now that the weather is getting nicer perhaps we can meet up and see how we do from shore someplace. The lakes around me are usually pretty fool proof not sure what the are like by you. Remember you can really not go wrong with a small fly like thing and a real worm or night crawler.Lynn

FisherMissis, Keep it up sooner or later your going to catch something. My favorite way to fish is with a slip bobber, slip shot sinker and a plain hook with live bait on it. When I cast from shore I usally use a jighead with a twister tail. Green or white work pretty good where I fish.

If you think you might have a problem with taking the fish off the hook when you do catch something make sure you have a pair of gloves to handle the fish with and a needle nose plyer to get the hook out of its mouth.

Good Luck

sweet heart, Mary is right ! since you are just learning i would also recomend either a fixed or slip bobber with real bait . if the water is shallow use a fixed float with maybe a # 8 or 10 hook below a split shot. very your depth.bait can be worms, night crawlers, wax worms and such. if you have deeper water, then the slip float will be a better option.you need to look at the water. i mean take a good look at it. then think. if i was a fish, and there is current( say in a river stream) where could i go to get out of the fast water and still find bait fish to feed on. in a lake or pond, is there weeds? maybe brush or trees for cover. or what looks like a shallow area next to deeper water.( pay attention of water color for hints here!)in the evening, are the fish working the surface? then fishing your bait shallower might be good. use each time out,wether you catch some thing or not as a learning exsperience!also don't be afraid to ask questions. yes some guys are jerks! but not all of us ! grin.gif many are more than willing to help. also ask at bait shops as to what is working and how to fish it. good reading can be infisherman crappie mag. del PS ! if hubby is bored; leave him home! grin.gif he won't be any fun anyway ! grin.gifgrin.gif

I'm sorry I forgot about the dvd question. I'm sure there is but I haven't seen them. We have a lot of vcr tapes on fishing and even more books. We also get the Infisherman magazine. Go to the magazine department like in Wal-Mart and you can find many mags on fishing. I'm sure you can find the dvds there also.

Well, I just solved my fish removing problem. . . I bought one of those fish handling gloves. So now I don't need to drag the hubby or son along to do the dirty work! grin.gif I'm planning on spending some time ALONE, trying some different methods and ENJOYING the day. grin.gif Thanks for your suggestions!

Will do, Muskie Girl. I haven't been out yet this week. Too much going on at home. The boy is leaving for Norway tomorrow so I've been running around getting his stuff together. Next week, the boy AND the hubby will both be gone and I'll be able to FISH! grin.gif I'll give a report.