• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Suckers Yet???

This may be a bit early, but wondering if anyone has had any luck for suckers yet? Unlike most people I actually like the tasty white meat. Plus there a blast to catch on light tackle and many times in the spring when you find one you find plenty. Beats catching panfish anyday.

Thanks

I've seen quite a few this year on the river .. but none of them were hanging in locations I would consider eating them from.. The were hanging out in some storm drains.. bring a good gas mask if you want to catch them.. the gasses coming out are intense!

I wonder if its normal when a fillet burst into flames while cooking??

There are a lot of different kinds of suckers. I surely am no expert but I think "sucker minnows", the kind you get at the bait shop are white suckers. I think "roughfisher" would know. Not sure how big they actually get but have used them up to about 14".

I do use redhorse cutbait for cats. They have a tough skin that helps keep it on the hook. I just scale them, fillet them and cut them up into hunks. The cats eat it up!!

I have never eaten sucker...something I will have to try. Heck, I have eaten just about everything else!...once. grin.gif

hey guys shocked.gif..i eat suckers!...not pan fried but there are other ways to eat the boney little guys.lol! grin.gif...guess with my name you can tell i like the redhorse...lol!...no i'm "hard up" for the taste of fish .....just been keeping a couple each spring (ritual) for many years ...i can't say they taste as "sweet" as walleye no but still very paletteable..i usually make fish patties out of em and are really pretty good!...i just fillet a couple good sized red horse(about a pound)...grind em up in my electric meat grinder(comes out like light pink hamburger)...the bones are still in the meat but ground up super fine(a little calcium grin.gif)...then i add an egg(for a binder)...about 6 soda crackers(1/4's)(can use cheesettes for a little different flavor)...salt,pepper,minced onion (or onion powder) and a little green pepper..mix it all to gether and make patties about 3/4" thick or so....then i take these patties and dip them into flour to coat them lightly...then into an "egg wash"( batter with a little lemon & worchestershire in it also)...then back into your favorite dry fish coating.....into the frying pan till golden brown...put these patties on a hamburger bun ...a little lettuce... slice of tomato...couple slices of dill pickle..a little onion...your favorite tarter sauce...i swear it's as good as mcdonalds! grin.gif....

I caught a nice sucker today and was going to bring it home to smoke it but then I cut up my hands pretty bad and decided to release it.

Jonny Redhorse, I wish that I would have decided to keep it now that I saw that "FISH BURGER" recipe grin.gif!!! Sound delicious!!!!