• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one = help with Brittany Spanial.

GRfisher

I have a brittany and it will be a year in april- and i was wondering when they start to calm down- and if he will at all.

Also he is a pointer and an excellent nose and run- but does anyone have any tips on transfering him to retreiving the ducks- but not wrecking his pointing?

He loves the water already? But is he old enough- to comprehend between the two types of hunting?

Thanks for the help guys.

My Brittany is a year old and acts like yours. She has always had a good nose and stays on point. I hunt game farm birds alot with her and she has yet to retrieve a bird. Her parents retrieved hundreds of birds shot over them. It is my fault for not properly yard training her to retrievethings to me. It is in there, you just got to pull it out. I assume bringing back ducks is the same thing. My dog wants to play all the time as well. Hates brooms and vacuum cleaners.

Before I got my pup (English Setter) I did alot of research, not that this makes me an expert but everything I've read about Brittany Spaniels indicated that they are very active and can be nervous and/or hyperactive. All dogs benefit from daily activity. Some just need more than others.

How much exercise (hard running) does he get a day. They need at least 20 minutues a day. If 20 minutes doesn't slow him down give him 30 minutes and so on. Is their anything in his environment that is stimulating him. I don't know that they differ from other hunting or sport breeds in energy level. Just being a bird dog requires a certain amount of energy. I have been around many Britts and haven't known any to be nervous unless it was trained improperly. as far as hyperactive most just need more time to run. Who did you get your Britt from? What were the sire & dam like?

Had a Brittany when I was a kid. He never calmed down. He was always a high energy dog. I will admit that some of it was my fault for not giving him enough exercise every day. When I would let him out of his kennel run, he would spend 5 minutes tearing in circles ripping up the grass.

I will say that he was one of the smartest dogs that I have ever witnessed. From escaping from anything, to trying to join my dad on the garage roof by using the deck railing and making a leap for the roof. He did not make, but he made it through just fine. He would figure out any challenge that you gave him, but at times he was too smart for his own good. He knew what kennel meant and often decided to ignore it.

I am sure it all depends on the lines that each pup comes from, but I would agree that they tend to require lots of quality running time. Good luck. Sorry I was not more help.

I don’t want to hijack GRfishers post here, but my post was not meant to disrespect the Brittany breed. In fact when we (my family and I) started looking at dogs the Brittany was at the top of the list. Ike I’m sure your right when you posted that most of those issues are directly related to breeding and training. Nervous and hyperactive may have been a poor choice of words, but the potential is there and I feel, and I’m sure you’ll agree, that prospective dog owners should do there homework so their not asking “When will my dog calm down?” Short answer: 6 to 8 years. grin.gif

Day 4 with our new pup. I think I'm to old to be sleeping in shifts. I'm feeling a little "punchy" today. crazy.gif

Well my brittany points excellent and brings the birds back fine when we are hunting grouse or pheasent- i was just wondering about if trainging him to retreive in the water- and sit still in the blind- if that is possible.

Yeah he does get his running time - but your right it probably is not enough. I will change that- Thanks.

Just my two cent worth here. I'm no expert but have had Brittany's for over 30 years. They are excellent hunters, and companions. As stated by others they are extremely intelligent and learn well, but are very high energy. The "puppy" doesn't usually leave for about three years, although training and discipline would probably cut that a little shorter. I can't say enough good things about the breed. Great hunters (point and retreive), awsome family dogs and life-long friends.

Rick

As far as sitting still in the blind goes I think you may be out of luck. Getting a wound up dog to sit still in a hunting situation for any length of time is going to be tough business.

Our Brittanys have transitioned well to sitting in the duck blind by age 3 or so. They do this well and without the aid of electric stimulation!

I usually own more than one Britt at a time so the honor of hunting waterfowl goes to the older dog.

Water retrieving works fantastic as a summer training and conditioning tool. Try jump shooting with the dog at heel, not easy but the dog will learn.

My Brittanies have made fantastic retrieves in both the duck (water) and goose (field) decoy spreads.

Remember though that Britts are not bred for real cold water retrieving. I have probably pushed my dogs a little too hard at times, but they will usually tell you when they have had enough.

Labs and other larger retrieving breeds have the body structure and oil coats that allow them to work in sub-freezing weather. Britts are more subject to hypothermia especially young, lean dogs.