• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ignorant marine band radio question

Question

Looking into buying my parents a marine band radio for their lake cabin so that they can communicate back and forth with the boat. I'm not finding much info on "base" stations out there. Is there actually a different unit for the cabin or do people use the same models at base as in the boat? Since the boat-based units run off of battery what do you do in the cabin for powering the base? Also, what are some good units out there?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I know people who us a standard marine band in their travel trailer up on the North end of Mille Lacs. They have an 8 foot fiberglass intenna mounted up on top of their tailer and can talk to people way down on the South end gravel. Any marine band with power should work.

98F, they make UHF base rigs and they're spendy. Buy two matching mobile (5-25W and not handheld) radios, 12VDC power supply (not inverter), standard 3ft whip antenna for the boat, 8ft fiberglass for the cabin (with the right mount) and you're set. Get the cabin antenna as high as possible. Avoid using emergency channels unless needed and you'll be fine. Range will very due to atmospheric and weather conditions but you could get dependable 7-25 miles depending on terrain

chunk