• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunnies

Pikemaster101

What depth are the sunnies at this time of the year for icefishing there is a little lake by me that i was thinking of drilling 20-30 Holes in about 5 feet of water along the shore in a weed patch and cleaning them all out then go from one to another and just put a little jig down with a wax worm on does anyone think this would work ?????

That is a good start but you might want to get out a little deeper as well. I guess it depends on the lake, but I have been catching fish in 12-15 feet lately still in the weeds.

I agree, I would start in that 10-12 foot range, especially if your going in the middle of the day, and then work your way in from there. I have been catching a lot of gills and crappies lately in that 8-10 foot range around the cabbage. But if that is where your cabbage is, they might be there to. Try different depths until you find them. Good Luck

I've been in 5-7ft for the last two weeks and had good fish"en. But thats on our(the one I've been on) mankato area lake. FIND THE WEED EDGE. You won't need that many holes. If your in pockets of weeds, you"ll need the holes.

I've fished the same lake several fridays in a row and I have yet to even see a sunfish. I've scoured the entire lake, both major weedlines, 3 feet deep to 34 feet deep, all different weather patterns and nothing! I've caught fish, mostly northerns but a crappie and a few bass here and there, but no sunnies. The lake is round with one point with a 5 foot flat on one side of the point and a fast drop on the other. The south shore has a loooong weedline and the major drop right next to it to 34 fow. The north side has the other weedline, not as big and a 5' flat on easch side of a 17' trench that kind of goes up the middle of the "bay". Any suggestions? I know there's sunnies in there, I just don't know where to go to find them. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I live in the White Bear Lake area and fish sunfish in the Chisago lakes area, my point is this, find a lake where sunfish are biting. It shouldn't be that difficult. Keep moving. This year I fish only one hole and keep two/three rods set-up with different sunfish lures...if you find the sunfish, one rod is more than enough...second, think small and euro-larvae - white only....2lb test line....recently I haven't used the Vexilar because it slows me down, the sunfish are on the bottom and I can fish the water column up-and down....good luck and stay very, very light....