• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line question

Dano2

Today I got into some dandy gills, and my berkly 2# test just wasn't doing the trick for some reason, so I switched to the rod with 3# and then after a few it snapped as well. neither one started breaking until after catching several fish, and I know its breaking and not coming untied.

whats could the problem be? user error? or could I have gotten some old line off the shelf?

I have some I believe its 2# or 4# Fireline that I used for jumbow perchan and wallys, will this type of line spook panfish? someone wrote on here awhile ago, that it does and you should tie a piece of mono on when going for panfish?

thnaks

That sounds pretty fishy to me. How old is your line? Sounds like you might have some old stuff on your reel. Is it Cold Weather or Micro Ice line? I use Micro Ice and haven't had anything like that happen to me. Do you wet the knot before you sinch it up? That might be another thing to try. I wouldn't use the Fireline for Panfish. These fish tend to be finiky about things like that or at least the bigger fish do.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

well, thats just it, I'm not sure how old it is, I just bought it at fleet this season so who knows what their stocking.

oh ya, wet the line, heh, heh, I usually always do that in the summer, but haven't in the winter, thanks

now that you mention the guides, I'm thinking thats probably it, I had ice build up on the top one, quite abit yesterdaY out in the cool wind. I was going to pull the house over and and keep things warmer, but didn't have the time, which was a GOOD thing, heh, heh. never had the problem much though, with 4#,

Dano....I think Matt was referring to the physical condition of the guides themselves and the tip. Try running a cuetip thru each one slowly. If you end up with the floss coming off the cuetip or snagging on the inside of the guide/tip, replace it. It is usually a tip that causes the most trouble. If you have used super braid on this rod before mono you may have grooved the tip...just a thought.