• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is a good ultra light spinning reel ??

ksdog

Looking for a small spinning reel that handles 2 lb test and casting tiny jigs. Most of the small reels I've seen aren't smooth and have line management issues. What do you guys like ?

The Shimanos in the Sahara and Sedona Models are some nice reels. You'll top out at about 60 bucks for the 1500 Sahara. Both of these come in a 750 model which is way more compact, but does not offer the gear ratio of the others. These small reels may not offer the continuous anti-reverse....to be honest I've never checked into that.

There are a ton of good reels that will do light line and not put you in the poor house. Shimanos just happens to be the ones I use for the bulk of my fishing.

I was also looking at getting a new UL reel. The spools on my old ones are too small and the light line gets kinked really quickly. My dad bought a 1000 series shimano rather than the little 500's and it seems to keep the line smooth longer. I have seen some very expensive shimano's that have larger spools (I don't recall the exact style) but i have also seen some new Pinnacles that have caught my eye. I think I will pick one up at the sportshow in march. I usually see good deals there. That is all~Dan

I have a few that I like a lot. On my best rods are a Tica (Cetus), and a Pfleuger Solara. I also like Pinnacles alot, but will spend the extra $ to get the higher end reels that have a minimum of three ball bearings. I've never seen a combo in a store that I've liked. They either have a crappy reel on an ok rod, or an ok reel on a crappy rod. Right now is the time to buy a reel, as a lot of ice gear is on clearance if it is still available!

Good luck,

Duck-o-holic

Shimano this year came out with a new size. its the 750 size.. I have 2 of these and just ordered 4 more... I have been that impressed... I got the 750 Sedona...

Crappie tom.. these do have the infanite anti reverse.. they are the exact same as the larger version just smaller in size... I really like them!

I second Hanson and duck slayer on the Cetus', I have three or four of these and they are great little reels, good for ice fishing especially when you don't want to drop a bundle on a decent reel. I also use one on my ultralight/stream trout rod and couldn't be happier.

Del, I like my reels to be the same so they all have the same feel...

CT-I got mad skilz!!!!

On a serious note.. I too own a few tica cetus.. decent reel..but for the money I prefer the sedona.. I like the fact that the sedona has larger drag washers..Larger drag washers mean smoother drag.. Drag is important when using 1 and 2 lb test!

man ! i know i've got to get up there and fish with you guys some time! grin.gif dietz ! i can understand your reasoning, but do wonder? do you just stock all of the older reels and stuff you don't currently use in a corner or do you have your own second hand store for fishing equip? confused.gif del

Tica, Cetus, Shimano, quantum.....whatever. The bottom line is the drag. And Dietz brings up an important observation regarding it. You need to have large washers to have a smooth one. In these small reels you do not find adequate room within the body housing, such as found on rear drag models, for large washers. The smoothest drags are found on front drag model-reels.

I have mentioned gear-ratio. That is an individual preference, but I usually look only at reels with a ratio of 5:8/1 or fster....they simply fit the way I fish. Slower reels will work fine for other people if they prefer less retrieve speed.

Something not mentioned yet are those reels with the so called "fast cast" or trigger cast feature. I stay way away from anything with that junk hanging on the rotor housing, regardless of brand.

And if you are looking for a reel to be used primarily for jigging, you should consider the instant or constant anti-reverse models....you will get more fish using them.

I'm with tom on this one for panfish.. when power is really not that important. It more important to just get the lure up and down the hole, but drag to me is of most importance!

Del-I have close family and friends that get first chance to buy some pretty nice stuff...I get requests all the time.. "hey deitz, that curado is getting a bit old for you isn't it... like 2 years old?""gonna sell it sooon?" I'm just happy that I am able to get the rods and reels I do each year!

I had to go look. I do have a couple Sondonas. They are on my walleye jigging rods. I knew I put some new ones on this last summer but forgot what I had there. I have to agree with Deitz they do have a very smooth drag system on them.

When you have a son that is into fishing as much as mine you don't have to worry about what to do with the "extra" equipment. If you can't find that hot jig look in his tackle box...lol

I have to agree with the Tica nice and smooth drag,instant anti reverse. You did say you wanted to cast with it also and the spool is a little small for casting for distance. I like the J.R.'S Ultra 8. Smooth, instant anti-reverse, excellent drag and has a bit longer of a spool for casting. And priced right. All are good reels lots to choose from. Good Luck!

I love the Cardinals by Abu Garcia. I'm looking at a 300u right now...7 bearing drive (vs. 3 for the Sedona 750), 5.1:1 gear ratio (vs. 4.7:1 for the Sedona 750), holds 185 yds of 2lb test, and ran me $29.99 (vs. $49.99 for the Sedona 750). The drag is smooth and the anti-reverse is instant - no slap back whatsoever.

yep i used to be in that position too.but my daughter seldom fishes any more and my sons' equip. is alomst as good as mine. my shamonos and team diawas have lasted me for years . no more hand me downs here! grin.gif dietz, i be tyou do have and BIG list of friends !! tongue.gif