• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food chain starting up in the shallows!!!

bmc

I was on a lake near here today and had a decent bluegill bite this afternoon. Most of the gills were right around that 8" range. I also caught about a dozen spottail shiners, tons of perch from 3-4" up to about 7-8" and one 16" largemouth bass. I just switched from Berkley Micro Ice 4lb down to 2lb on one of my rods and after the knock down drag out fight with that LMB, I'm convinced 2lb will stand up to the abuse. Everything released, didn't feel like cleaning any fish today. Very finicky biters though, I was using a #14 dry fly hook with a single eurolarve or else a waxie hooked once through the middle with a single BB split shot about a foot up the line. Nothing and I mean nothing else would work to get bites, even on those pesky perch. I was fishing a flat and was in about 11' of water.

Will post some pics when I get them down loaded. Finally!!

dscf040724jr.jpg

dscf04084td.jpg

lmb9qm.jpg

Brian

I was out on a local lake last night 10-11 foot flat, the only way to get pan fish to bite was the same, plain hook and waxie. Tried repeatedly with an ice tick and demon, only managed a large mouth and three walleyes on them. They came up fast and hit hard. I was using 4 pound on both rigs, seems like the flats on the small lakes hold all species of fish this time of year!

I just have a question here and aint looking to start anything I dont ice fish but couldnt imagine laying a fish on the snow to take a pic is to good for the gills, I do fish the Miss up by Monti all winter (open water) and always try to keep the fish off the snow if there gonna be released. How long is to long to regarding exposure to cold air temps? Im wondering and I know either Crappie Tom or one of the other experts will know, I caught a walleye one day it was about 9 degrees out and had no intention of keeping it, but between my frozen fingers and the darn thing having all three hooks on a treble in its mouth it took about 5 minutes to unhook, so after that I just ended up keeping it, my question is could I have released this fish? Ive also seen people shore fishing there and catch a nice smallies and lay em in the snow to take a pic and then release it, the next time I was out ( a few weeks later) I saw 2 smallies dead (floating by) and was kinda wondering if this was the reason? Well just wondering if anyone could answer this?

When it is below 20 degrees its best to keep the fish out of the air because their eyes and gills can freeze and damage them. lots of people use houses with heater so this really isnt a big problem. When fishing tip ups when its cold If the fish is hooked in the mouth it usually doesnt take to long to unhook and release unharmed. If it is a fish I want a picture of I will drop it back into the hole while still holding it by the gill plate (mouth if its a bass) to keep it out of the cold air until the camera is ready.

Also, I dont see any harm that can come from laying a fish on the snow.

One of the problems with winter fish handling is that the fish are the same temp as the water they come from....usually between 34 and 36 degrees. If the air temp is 9 degrees, the fish can take a negative hit quickly. The eyes and gills being the general concerns. Being prepared to take a pic quickly is paramount. Matt has mentioned the slime coat and this too is something people often ignore. When handling fish to be returned, do so with wet hands and try to avoid contact with snow for more than a few seconds...and DON'T wipe away any snow which has adhered to the fish. Just put them back in the drink snow and all.