• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1989 polaris 500

Wall-Hanger

I have a 1989 polaris 500 that has not been rode of over 200 the last 5 years, but in the last couple of years I have noticed that the sled has lost power on take off. The clutch was rebuild about 5 yrs ago. I know it is an old sled but here is were I am having difficulty, Once you hit 30 mph the sled has all the power it used to have. It goes 30 to 85 like nothing. It acts like the sled is not preforming in its powerband. I have yet to check compression, but I figured since it idled and ran good, it could be ok. Is one of the clutch not working properly? Also I know in the years past the the drive chain and sprocket have been replaced. any possible solutions other than a rebuild.

loosegoose has probably the cheapest and easiest place to start. I'd say do that and then see where you are at. The carbs should be cleaned annually anyway so even if it doesn't solve the problem, its not like you are out anything...

Thank you guys for the ideas, but the carbs have been gone through each year before starting it for the first time. A little practice I have learned to prevent this possible problem. Also I have taken the gas tank off and dumped out the old gas, possibly elminating any water in the gas. If the clutch was sticking in places wouldn't it cause your RPM's to keep accelerating without track speed increasing much? Still looking for suggestions, Thanks for replies

If the sled is running fine and just having trouble taking off I would say it is something with the clutch or even the belt. The springs in a clutch can become weak. The belt can be too tight or too loose. It is hard to tell what is wrong with the sled unless it is in front of you. The 89 and 90 500's are great machines. That Fugi engine is hard to break. I had 2 90's and the last one I got rid of had over 6000 miles on it and is still running strong.

How's your drive belt??

Is it an older belt? Has it stretched a little? Has it worn itself narrower a little bit?

That could possibly have an effect on how your sled is shifting.

Do you think it is a shifting/clutching problem or is it definitely noticeable in the motor?

I am leaning towards it being a clutching problem due to the fact that once it gets going 20-30 mph it preforms good. I could be wrong though. I will try a new belt but I have tried the spare. Not sure if the spare was new or old. Can a person change the weights and springs in the clutch to get more take off power. Also could've a different sized gear been installed on the drive chain end causing the powerband to be different. The sled used to peel out big time but now bairly spins during takeoff

Has the secondary clutch been rebuilt yet? If not, that could be your problem. It might be opening up too soon, kinda like starting out in second gear. Just one more of the checks to put on your list. The older the sled gets the list will get longer. Good luck.