• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Picking a new dog

MJR

I have always had labs but the wife does not want a lab. I am kinda thinking a shorthair, wirehair, or a golden. I mostly pheasant hunt and will be doing some grouse hunting as well as limited duck hunting. The dog will be a family dog and inside the house so do not want a big shedder. Any thoughts?

Your going to get everyones personal favorite but if your a lab guy I'd suggest another flusher, the golden. Positives are great family hound, good hunter if you get the right kind, negatives are prone to picking up tons of burs and when they are wet they are wet for a while. I'm a golden guy have a lab too, can't beat the goldens disposition. You spend over 99% of the year not hunting and I love my golden all of those days along with the hunting days.

MJR,

It kinda depends on how limited and how cold your duck hunting is. If it's early season ducks then any of the 3 breeds would work. If it's later and the water is colder then I'd eliminate the GSP from your list. A shorthair probably will not sit good for extended periods of time.

A big shedder will probably eliminate the golden. I think all dogs shed, it's just that some hair is more noticeable than others. Not sure how much wirehairs shed but my guess would be they shed plenty too as do shorthairs. Brushing your dog out especially when they are blowing their coats in the late spring and late fall will help too.

Your personality should play into this as well. If you are a controlling type of personality then a golden or wirehair might be better. If you feel you will be able to let the dog go and follow it and trust it then a shorthair might work better. There are shorthairs that are closer ranging too but my experience has been with more independent ones.

Generally a shorthair will be rangier than a wirehair. And obviously a golden should be well within gun range. If having a dog out of gun range bugs you then the golden or maybe a really close ranging wirehair is for you.

If upland birds are what you want then I'd go for the wirehair or the shorthair.

Just be sure to do alot of research and ask lots of questions of many breeders before you take the plunge. Look at lots of litters and don't fall in love with the first litter you come across. There are plenty of good dogs from all the breeds you mentioned.

Good luck and have fun.

gspman

Quote:

I have always had labs but the wife does not want a lab. I am kinda thinking a shorthair, wirehair, or a golden. I mostly pheasant hunt and will be doing some grouse hunting as well as limited duck hunting. The dog will be a family dog and inside the house so do not want a big shedder. Any thoughts?

Could get a new wife who likes labs too?!?!? shocked.gif Just kidding, but seriously why doesn't she want a lab? If you like them and know their traits, why would you want to switch???

I am not sure why, I try and talk to her as little as possible. No I am kidding sort of, she just said she doesn't want one and I am ok with that since all of our friends have labs as dogs and I have never had anything but labs I thought I would go with something different. I am really open to any kind of hunting dog except I do not really like the hyperactivity of some of the springers I have been around.

All of the breeds you have mentioned will make fine upland dogs. The only thing I would say about the springers is don't rule them out do to hyperactivity. I have 3 that run like maniacs outside and in the field but, when in the house they all settle down and act like any other couch potato dog.

As mentioned before, look at a few litters and do a little research and you will be fine. Sound like you already started doing this. Good luck in your search.

MJR,

I am obviously partial to my breed, but I grew up with Goldens, and owned two Labs as an adult. No one can deny they can be great dogs. The reason I switched to Griffons is this...my last lab started to point...I liked it a lot. Also, most of my duck hunting was out of a boat...less need for a dog in my situation. And finally, I started to do more pheasant and grouse hunting and really enjoyed the pointing aspect. The pointing and retrieving capabailiteis of a versatile dog are really nice. My Griffs have every bit as much drive to retrieve and "go" in the field as my Labs did. Plus, my two griffs are 6 and 2, the same as two of my kids...these dogs are every bit as gentle with children as Goldens. Big lap dogs? Just my opinion, something to think about. smirk.gif

Good luck!

I am VERY biased but I can tell you that I have taken my shorthair duck and goose hunting with great success. It was all early season hunting though. If I would have taken him in cold weather I definately would have picked up a neoprene vest for him. He was a champ on pheasants in Iowa and MN. I did take him to Yankton for opener there once and that was probably his worst trip, definately needed a flushing dog there not a pointer. He did great on grouse in northern MN and was great at bringing back birds that I swore I missed clean.

As for a family dog they are hard to beat. I have two boys (ages 3 and 6) and they have TERRORIZED our two shorthairs and the dogs have never complained. Our shorthairs are now 12 and 13 yrs old and they still enjoy being around the boys.

I have run springers for 20 yrs. Great hunters and awesome family dogs. Keep them shaved in the winter and the shedding is not a problem. Springerspeed is right they will calm down just like any other couch potato dog. They are Great in the field.

I guess I've never understood when people have good luck with a breed, suits there style of hunting and what they expect, but opt out for a "breed du jour" or I want something different because everyone I know has one.

I'm not trying to "rip" on you, I've heard this from many, many, people in the past... It just boggles me when I hear this argument.

With that said, if you (your wife) are absolutley dead set against a lab, maybe look into a field bred English Cocker Spaniel, or even harder to find but I think even more impressive a "true" field bred American Cocker Spaniel. They will do an amazing job in the upland fields, handle a decent amount of duck hunting (I'd just with hold the late season hunts) and are great in the house, plus they are very compact in size. They are bigger than the "pet" size cockers, probably more in the 30 pound range, and have thicker but shorter coats than what you are used to seeing. Do a search on the internet and start do a little investigating. As much as I'm a lab guy, I'm looking at an American Cocker for a house dog + grouse hunting. I'm thinking of getting one started in the next year or so for the upcoming upswing in grouse numbers.

Good luck!

Ken

Wow there is a ton of information about dogs out there! Thanks for all of your input! I am interested in finding more about the Griffons, does anyone know of someone selling them close to the metro? The closest I have found is in ND Prarie Kennels I believe. Also I have not bought a dog in a few years are they pretty much all $700 or what? That is a little steep for me.

MJR

Griffons are are truly the do everything dog. I use mine for pointing and retrieving grouse, woodcock, and pheasants, and for retrieving ducks and geese. I live near the horicon marsh where we hunt a variety of waterfowl. We travel to northern WI to hunt grouse and woodcock.We also hunt pheasants locally and try to make it to SD at least once a year for pheasants, sharptail, and huns.

Griffons have a two layer coat. Their outer coat is hard and wiry, while their under coat is soft and down like. They shed less than a single coated dog and sometimes their outer coat has to be stripped (pulled backwards) to let a new coat come in. Because of their thicker coat they need plenty of water in warm weather and they may need more frequent rest breaks than a shorthair. However, they are able to make cold water retrieves and handle thick brush, cold, and snow, better than thinner haired dogs. Highly intelligent, they are able to adapt to many different conditions and species. They adapt their range to the conditions but on the average tend to run closer than shorthairs, pointers, and setters. I have hunted with other dogs with much more "flash" that race around while my griffon will quietly point more birds.

Griffons are very friendly and don't tolerate very much rough handling. Discipline needs to be firm but fair. They are naturally clownish, and their fuzzy faces and personality make them a great companion year around. They make wonderful family pets and very personable.

My female is due feb 23 if you would like info or talk about the breed in general e-mail me at [email protected]

Griff guy