• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Picking a pup?

2 DA GILLS

Looking for different opinions on how to pick a pup. In a few weeks I will be picking a pup from a litter of 11 with my selection coming from the 5 males.

This will be a hunting / family dog. The plan right now is to let the dog be in the house for the most part (that may change, if the wife changes her mind). I will be purchasing a Griffon, but I am just looking for general recommendations on picking a pup (not necessarily breed specific).

What are the most important traits to assess?

What is the best way to assess these traits?

Anyone have any personal guidelines for picking a pup? I have some of my own ideas already formulated, but looking for some other views.

Thanks

The first step is to pick the right litter. If you pick a good litter then you can usually just reach in and grab a pup and odds are you'll have a good one. Pick based your style of hunting and personality. I would also ask the breeder to help you as they should have a clue about how each pup may turn out. If you are a hard-driving hunter and do alot of hunting then pick a bolder pup. If you hunt a little maybe pick one a little less bold. Also pick one you find a little appealing visually. If you like the looks of your dog you may spend more time with it. Anyways. Good luck picking.

gspman

Take all the choices and get them in a small room and romp with them for a while. You will soon find that one of them likes you just as much as you like it... that is the one to take.

On keeping the dog in the house... I have a 10 year old lab that has become a house dog. NEVER AGAIN Be prepared to vacum every day... this dog can shen a whole nuther dog in only a week. Dont know how much Griffons shed but be warned...

Take care and N JOy the Hunt... it will be even more fun after you get your new buddy trained in!/./Jimbo

gspman is right on when he says pick a good litter. It sounds like you have already picked one. I would make sure that both parents are hunted and would take a look at them. If you don't like them...pick another litter. As far as picking the pup...I know guys that will spend a month watching the pups and guys who just grab one....with equal success. Pick the dog you like and likes you...this dog is going to be a part of the family, so it has to fit.

lt

I agree with the comments about just jumping in and playing with them! If you have kids so much the better. When I got my dog the breeder loved for my kids to come along and basically assist in the socialization of the puppies and I guarantee the kids loved playing with them. We went out a number of times and many times I just watched the puppies personalities amongst themselves as well as with the family. In my case, I was getting one of only two females in a litter and the breeder was keeping the other one. All along I basically thought I was going to get the #2 female as the breeder was looking for another female for future breedings.

In my heart I knew which female I wanted and when we went to pick up the dog I did not have a clue which puppy was coming home with us. As it turned out, I got the female that appealed to me the most as I wasn't focused on future breeding potential.

I couldn't have missed on any of the puppies as the breeder had bred for a great litter. On the other hand, even the professionals miss on an assessment regarding sizes if that is important since you are thinking house dog, as my dog ended up having everything that she was bred for which was her dad's head and body and her mom's height while her sister end up with mom's body and dad's height. I remember taking her back out for training after her first winter when she was about 12 months old and the breeder took one look at her and then looked at his wife and just shook his head.

I appreciate all the comments. I have done some research and I am not just going with any litter. Both parents are hunted and are family dogs. Both have been tested in the NAVHDA natural ability test and the female has been tested in the utility test (I think that is what it is called). I have been in communication with the breeder for about a year and half. I had a chance to hunt with the female and see a litter mate of the stud. I have been pleased with the temperament of both. The female is very well mannered and calm (even with kids running all around).

I have been over to observe the pups twice now. I really can't see much of a difference between the males. Aside from size, they range from 8 to 6 pounds. They all seem normal and well adjusted. Hopefully I will be picking from a litter were I can just grab one and be fine.

I do have kids and they have come along to play with the pups. The breeder also has two young kids, so the pups are getting plenty of socialization to children.

If you have five good males to pick from. I would use haircoat to elimanate 2 or 3. Griff pups change a lot compaired to other breeds. They have a two layered coat. When they are born they are white with liver plates. Later on they turn darker. Look for one that has a flat lying, dense coat that is not wavy or soft. If they have any face furnishing now they will have much more later.

I like to use a wing or bird skin to watch for pointing and prey drive. If he sight points for even a second or two, at 2-3 feet, you know he's all there.

Enjoy the pup

Thanks Griff guy. The breeder has some live birds on site. He will get one around the pups next time I am there.

You mentioned the face furnishings. Would you consider them a plus or a minus? Or just a personal preference and looks thing? Thanks for the tips on the coat types as well.

Furnishings are more personal preference. I would try to stay away from the soft tops. They can collect a lot of burs. You can clip them or spray with "pam" otherwise it can be a pain getting out burs. The eyebrows, beard, and moustach are not to bad to keep nice. Sometimes just a few burs under the chin. Tight flat lying coats are easy to maintain. Also the more silver or steel gray the harsher the coat will be.

I look back at picking my pup with fondness. I really enjoyed the process. I did everything the other posters did and it came down to two things. I layed both pups on their back and waited until one started squirming. I took the other, more docile one. It turns out she took to training much better than the other one. The final test was when I threw a glove on the floor. Both pups went for it and the other pup got it and went off to a corner with it. The pup I ended up choosing went to the corner, took the glove from the other pup and brought it over to me. SOLD! Best dog I've ever hunted with, bar none.

Griff guy knows his stuff. I have two griffs, one with the tight coat, and one with the longer softer coat. The tight coat with less facial featherings is very easy to maintain in the field, but he sheds like a lab, need to keep it groomed, combing, etc. My female has the softer longer coat but without the real thick curly head. No doubt she collects more burrs, but...she can handle cold weather better, the kids and wife like her coat because it is softer to pet, and most importantly, she sheds far less than my male. They both have their advantages.

Have fun.

PS: Keep that pup away from everything. I suffered numerous casualties from my griffs, boots and shoes of course, furniture, any and all kids toys, cedar shakes on my old house, aluminum siding on my new house (both house incidents were because there was a mouse or something behind the wall)you name it, it's in play!

I had a chance to observe the pups around a live bird this weekend. I have eliminated one of the pups, so I watch the remaining 4 around the bird. One pup did not even come over by the bird. Another one followed around with mild interested, but continued to scent the bird after it was removed. The third pup went after the bird with some stealth and the fourth pup just went after it. The fourth pup would jump after the bird and had some strong drive. The third pup also investigated the net the that the bird was brought out in, before it was even released.

I am leaning towards pup 3 and 4. They had the most interest in the bird. Pup 4 had the most energy in getting the bird, but pup 3 went with more stealth. Does this really mean anything when this young?