• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memories of friends and Family

This is how I used to take my dad out fishing when he was able to go. Those were the days I didnt care if I caught a fish I was just happy to be fishing with him. My fishing partner passed away last spring. But I carry on all his teachings to me. scan00076wy.jpg

Crappie, that is an excellent photo and a reminder of how important it is to take along family members who taught us how to fish, hunt, trap, or do anything.

I will always cherish how my grandfather taught me his secrets to Lake Superior and how I hope someday I will be able to pass along that knowledge. That picture really made me reflect back on the last time I was able to go hunting with him. Thanks!!!

I've had the chance to meet and talk a bit with Crappiechaser and he is one class-act guy.

Crappiechaser,

I admire you, I'll say an extra prayer tonite for you dad. I get the chance to fish with my dad on occasion and I love every minute of it and I bet your dad was feeling the same way you did when you guys were out on the ice. There's a place in my portable fish house for you whenever the opportunity arises. It was nice talking with you last week and good luck out on the ice!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thank you for the replys. Its fun to hear other peoples memories with friends or family. This is one of my favorite pictures with my dad because it makes me think of all the fun times on the ice we had.

Matt, I also enjoyed meeting and talking with you last week. I appriciate your prayers. If the oppritunity arises I would be happy to go fishing with you and to be able to talk some more. Thanks

Crappiechaser,

That one hit home. I have pictures of my dad fishing with an oxygen tank and having to be lifted in the boat. We were fortunate enough that my father received a lung transplant about a month before they though he would die, which has bought him a few more years of life and a couple of fishing trips (although he can't do as much). I can only imagine what is like to have lost your best fishing partner who is also you dad and best friend. Be proud that you did have that time. It sure seems like your Dad would be proud of you. Great picture. It sure reminds us all that when we are done discussing catch and release and slot limits there are things way more important to this sport.

Seeing that pictures sent chills up and down my spine! I will bet you dad is proud of you!

I lost my dad he was my best friend , fishing partner and hunting partner 10 years ago also.. You will always have fond memorys like this in your head, never forget him..

God bless you and your family!

Crappiechaser....

If you make it to the Tonka event this weekend look me up. Your post brought back a lot of memories for me and I'd love to shake your hand. Your father may be gone from this world, but he'll always be with you. At work, out fishing.... where ever you are... He's there....

Thanks again for the replys. That picture was taken on lake Washington near mankato. That was our home lake. If your familiar with the lake we had our house out on third point and that is quit a walk pulling an old man telling you what to do and telling you that your not going to catch fish because there all under his hole. Then on the way back he would be saying that I put something in his hole to scare the fish away and go to my hole. But I was proud to shofer my dad around the lake on his sled and joke around with him. Those are the good memories that I have with him. Another is when the houses were falling threw in 02 my dad and I were watching the weather and I said I dont think we need to move the house and my dad just laught and said its going to happen to you some time why not when your young. So needless to say I was out there pulling him to the house so we could inspect the conditions around it. We got there just in time one more day and I would have had a big green bobber. So we always joked about that to. Anyways I will not be able to go to the tonka event. Im planning a trip up to red lake to Chase some Crappies around. My dad and I always wanted to go get some slabs but never got a chance because the time I was old enough and confident enough to drive that far It would have been really hard to get up there. So I planned a trip for three days in honor of him. It would be the first time I have been up there so I hope its fun and dont run into to much trouble along the way. I will try to make it to an event next year. What are they all about? Is it a big contest or what?

Good luck this weekend on Red Lake, and I hope you get into the crappies!

The ICE Series events are geared towards having fun. There are trophies for first and second places, as well as a trophy for big fish. There are no cash payouts. All the prizes are done by raffle at the end of the event and everyone who registers can win whether they catch a fish or not. There are Pro Staff and guides there to help put you on fish and help out in any way. It's basically just a chance to get together to hit the ice and have fun and meet fellow FMer's and anglers.

There will be another ICE Series event on Rush Lake next Saturday, February 12, on Rush Lake in Rush City (north of Forest Lake).

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson