• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your ATV start in the cold Temps ?

Whopper Stopper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad my Yamaha(kodiak 450 03') starts good.

My outdoor thermometer read -37 (in Floodwood)one morning and I forgot to plug the truck in.. truck wouldnt start and I had to go to the store... I looked at the 4 wheeler.. didnt think it would start... Sure enough, I turned the choke on full and it popped off immediately. I never put in a winter weight oil either. I think i heard every part on the machine whine when I started to move, but it sure beat walking!

All I can say is that was one cold ride to the store that morning.

My machine has never had a problem starting, but my cousin has the same machine 1 year newer and they have problems getting it to fire when it hits -20... go figure.

Coolbreeze- this is a normal occurance with the honda hydraulic trannies. I looked into buying an es and the dealer even told me that they wouldn't take off right away when very cold. I thought he just had an excess of standard shift models that he was trying to unload on people. But- a few months later myself and a few friends, one who owns a forman es, were ice fishing on a brutally cold morning, about -25. On the way to the lake we started the 4 wheeler and let it run the 10 min. to the lake, and it performed well. When we were done fishing, he started the four wheeler and sure enough, would not shift, or move for a good 10 minutes, so I am guessing that the tranny fluid gets to be like syrup when it gets that cold and needs some time and heat to become more fluid.

good luck

Quote:

I have an 88' Honda 350 that won't start without a "shot" in the carb. Took the carb apart, checked everything, cleaned it out, float and needle seem to be in good working order, fuel pump is pumping gas, can crank it over and won't fire, as soon as the shot in the carb, it starts.

Apparently it's not holding the gas in the carb. also, the gaskets and hoses look good, tight fit, no air leaks. Anybody have any ideas what else to look for?

Bryon

Bryon, I have a 87 Honda 350, which I wouldn't think much different than your '88.According to the owners manual, the fuel pump will not run if the battery is not "fully charged",what ever that means.I am trying a new battery after checking several other things. The old battery did not check out that bad. Have had a chance to work on ATV lately. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on? Sometimes I could, then it would start, when I could hear the fuel pump run, only a second or two, it will start.If fuel pump not running, no start! I know I haven't helped much but lets keep in touch, maybe between the two of use we can figure this thing out! jps [email protected] I live in nw Ia. Not so cold here lately!