• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ultra light rod for craps and gills?

bmc

I've been using a spring bobber the last couple years while crappie and gill fishing. It was worked really well, but I'd like to get an ultralight rod that has the same sensitivity as my spring bobber. Any suggestions?

Brian

JR's (site sponsor) has a dandy ultralight for panfish and can be coupled with one of their ultralight reels. The outfit makes a very good rig and you do not need the springs. The rods are graphite just like more expensive ones. They are priced very reasonable as well.

To see them you can click on "our sponsors" or you can go directly to JR's site at www.jrstackle.com.

Yep, JR's makes a nice ice rod, but you are going to want some kind of noodle rod if you want the same sensitivity as a spring bobber. I personally like the Power Noodle by Thorne Bros. I've never really used a spring bobber since I started using the Power Noodle. The Power Noodle has a very quick and sensitive tip. You can detect even the lightest bites. The backbone is still solid though and that still allows you to get a solid hook-set. You don't lose any jigging action with the Power Noodle either. The Power Noodle is 24 inches and has a blaze orange tip so you can see the light strikes easier. You can get a better idea on the Thorne Bros site...

Thorne Bros Ice Rods

Going with either a noodle rod or a spring bobber is tough to beat on finicky panfish. If you're looking for the sensitivity of a spring bobber built in to an ice rod then your choices are slim. A spring bobber is one of the top strike indicators in my book, but the Power Noodle will allow you to have that sensitivity without attaching a spring bobber.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I own all the Thorne Bros rods. There the only rods I use period. But the one rod that I do not care for is the Power Noodle. I prefer the 24 inch Sweet Thing with a spring bobber. You can detect a bite on that type of rig much better.

I would have to agree, the spring bobber is a phenomenal tool for detecting bites, but it freezes up much faster then the Power Noodle and it's tougher to un-freeze. When I'm over a large weed depression hole hopping and chasing a pod of gills I want to be sure that my equipment is properly working and sometimes you only get one fish per hole.

But, like you said, the sping bobber is the cats meow and can detect even the lightest bites. A Panfish Sweetheart Plus with a spring bobber is a tough to beat combo. The Power Noodle is just an option for people who would rather not use a spring bobber.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I want to expand on something augernaut said - line watching. Do not be afraid to use the line as a strike indicator, after all the line is the first thing to move. I cannot tell you how many times I have outfished friends of mine by watching the line instead of waiting for the slightest movement of my rod tip. It is hard sometimes not to continue to watch the flasher or the rod tip, and sometimes that is the best method, but don't be afraid to experiment with different methods of catching fish. Personally, I don't thing there is anything I enjoy more than catching crappies on a "slack" line, or watching the wind move my line in a rythmic pattern, and suddenly the pattern is changed ever so slightly, and bam you got 'em. You didn't feel a thing, but more importantly, neither did the fish. There are many ways to catch fish, and on different days different things work. Don't be afraid to keep experimenting...