• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris 700 Idle Speed Adjustment ?

trollingforeyes

I have a 2004 Polaris 700 with a carb. I looked in my manual to see if there is an adjustment for idle rpm. The manual shows a screw that can be adjusted to raise or lower idle rpm , however my carburator does not have this shown screw. Also is there a way to raise the rpm when the choke is on??

Use caution when adj. the screw when you find it, it;s there on the side down from where the thr. cable hooks on the carb. open the thr. when adj. this screw, reason, the carb. usally is a slide not a butterfly type and you will jam the screw into the ramp that is built into the slide.

Trollingforeyes...

I've never had to putz with either so I relayed you question to my buddy... Here's what he had to say...

"The idle adjustment screw is located at the bottom of the float bowl it is inverted. You can't hardly miss it. A knurled round screw. Turn it clockwise to increase speed. It is not advisable to raise the idle speed by using the throttle cable adjuster. I don't think that the choke has a fast idle setting, I believe it is only an enrichining device."

Also, there is an update available for your ATV from Polaris. It's a carb upgrade that helps in cold weather starting and drive-away. Sledhead, from this forum, did the work on my 04.5 700 carb and it made a HUGE difference. As a bonus, during the warmer months, this upgrade also gives you a bit more on the bottom end... Always a plus!!

If your dealer hasn't seen the bulletin, they need to call and ask for bulletin A-03-09-00. From my understanding, this upgrade was free to those living in climates where cold weather may be an issue. The upgrade includes: jet needle 4HB41, slide spring 045, #45 pilot jet, a tamper-proof brass plug and a 157.5 main jet.

Check it out. It made a world of difference on mine!

hey guys the update won't be covered for an 04 model. Moose I didn't know that until after I did yours. But they covered anyway. Idle is on the left side of the carb should be adjusted between 1100-1200 rpm's. Although i did change out all the jetting and needle on mooses machine the 04 will be equiped with all the right stuff but fine tuning it is the important part of it. Your machine is equiped with a CV card it has a butterfly and a vacuum slide.

Sledhead: PLEASE don't laugh. I have a 600 Sportsman 05 and believe it or not I can't figure out how to get at the carb. I don't want to start to tear those plastic panels off if they aren't suppose to. I use my ATV for ploughing and just love it except I have to really warm it up or pull out the choke. I can't even get at the plugs. I hve checked the manual but sure doesn't help.

I often pull the seat off because that is where my plug in is but that area doesn't have any carb or spark plugs. There is a small black cover about 9" X 5" with 3 clips on each side. I had pulled the clips back and tried to lift up the cover but it didn't budge and I did not want to force it. Is the carb under that cover????

No, that's the air cleaner box. The 700 I have in the garage is an EFI so that's not much help. It looks like there's more access on the right side of the machine, as you're sitting on it. Can you get to the carb from that side? For changing plugs, you'll have to pull side covers I'm sure.

I got my 04 700 carb back from my dealer last week after the carb fix. I am very pleased to report that over this last weekends cold weather the machine ran FLAWLESSLY!!!! Had I not known any better, I would have thought I had a different machine.

Thanks to all that brought my attention to this fix.