• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

thumb/hand warmers

Captain Ken

I have an AC Wildcat 700 1993 (carb model - not sure that matters). Anyway, when you turn on the hand/thumb warmer or just the thumb warmer the little green light on teh dash comes on but no warmth comes. I have the exact same sled in an EFI model and they get so toasty I have to shut em off periodically, so I'd kind of like to get the others working that way my wife or kid or whoever is riding with me doesn't always have to grab the warm sled. Funny how it does not take em long to figure out which is the one with warmers and how that always becomes "theirs."

So, if you were gonna start looking for the problem as to why they don't work, where would you start?

Thanks

Ken

I would check to see that you do have power to the grips, and if you do, Then I'd suspect it's a bad ground. If you didn't have power to the grips then I'd check the wiring, and I have no idea, but I'd expect there to be a fuse somewhere, but you think that would probably be before the switch, in which case you'd probably would not see the green light.

Resistor maybe???

Track the hand warmer wires down the handlebars until you run into a little ( 1/4"x3/4"x2") ceramic piece and see if anything is wrong there.

If nothing, it could be the grips or it still could be the resistor.

Take it for a spin for 5-10 minutes at higher RPM then idle and see if they don't get "toasty".

My 90 Cougar's hand warmers do not get warm at idle but drive er at 5,000 rpm for a few minutes and they start to get hot!

Just something to try before you star tearin into things.

I Have a 1993 EXT 550. It's the exact same sled, I had the exact same problem, it was simply a connection on the handle bars under the rubber.

Do you have hooks for cornering on your handle bars? If so, they can cause the hand warmers not to work.

Thanks guys. This gives me a start. I will start looking around for the bad wired/circuit etc. No hooks and even after running for 60 minutes I have no heat so it has to be a connection etc. I will post an update as I dig in.

Ken