• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Delta Lake Ice conditions

I would say that the ice has improved significantly since I checked it yesterday morning back sets had 2.5 to 3" of black ice however we received approximately 3" of snow yesterday and there was already 2" of snow on the ice already. It was -2 last night and should have made a big difference in improving conditions and I will check the lake at lunch time today and hopefully provide some safer ice conditions for fishing.

What was a beautifully cold night in central NY did nothing to improve the ice conditions on the winter entrance on Delta the snow that had fallen during the day has indeed insulated the cold night temps from penetrating down through to the 2" of black ice we had. However the main lake is 95% tight as of 12:30 today.

Just got back from the lake and the entire lake is tight. The winter entrance area is very hairy. Not one icefisherman ventured out over 50' from shore. Some clear spots had 4" but they were few and far to find. The coating of snow that we had did in fact insulate the ice. I cut maybe 1.5" in places and 2" at best. I didn't fish over 10' of water and basically just wanted to get out and get semi-comfortable. Although the pucker fact was in effect I had a good work out walking around with my gear. A couple tip up guys were fishing they caught a couple of hammer handles and missed two flags. Water in the channel is still murky so even if the ice was good the fishing would have been lacking. It was good to get out stayed for about an hour and didn't mark anything.

Hey roque kid- Hendo, Potter and Missy were over the house and picked up your bag of goodies I put some extra stuff in there for you. What weird weather today eh. 56 degrees, pouring rain and hardly any snow left to speak of. I can't believe I was on good ice 7 December last year and here we are 23 Dec and were down to a skim coat. This is terrible... Off Mon - Wed keeping an eye on the weather maybe north, maybe south...

Talk to you later...

Timbo . . .I'll be at a party out at Delta tonight and will take a gander at the ice . . .probably not take a walk as I would like to open presents tomorrow . . .especially the new snowmobile 2 up with room to taxi all who need a ride.

Checking and fishing Delta tomorrow. Winter entrance if yous guys are interested I'm figuring there has to be 4 minimum probably 5" of good ice so if you can make it I will be out in the early afternoon.

Yeah and to keep me honest, Hartwick College sent me the bill for next semester!! From the wee hours looked like Delta is all covered but hard (no pun intended) to tell. I hear 5 inches also, but be careful, the wter is up and deep!

Got back from the lake and caught about 25 small perch and one 16" zander. Fished from 12 - 5:30. Cut between 3" and 5" of black ice. No pucker factor at all also there was quad running on the ice, dang near the channel. The best part of the trip was when I came off the ice and into the parking area and this guy say's, "You want to see two huge Northern Pike..." I said, "heck yeah!" I saw two monsters 42" and a 41" caught on tip-up these guys I passed on the way out the winter entrance. Both pike came out of the same hole in 8' of water easily 20 pounds plus. Nobody did much except for that guy. He was telling me he had been fishing this lake for 20 years and never broke 35" and today he broke it not once but twice. Good for him! It was good to get out and cut some holes. Frank your buddy was out there with his FL-8. We figured you were in the bush... LOL

CNY Kyle and I ventured on theice last night around 5 until 7:30 . . .small fish at best. Had lookers in the dark but that was it. Nice mark at 18 feet but sat and sniffed and then went down. Got on at the beach . . . sloppy mush, standing water about an inch. Water flowing into the holes in the shallows but not doing so further out. Expect the water to rise and the shoreline access to be challenging. Ice was at least 12 inches out in the deeper water. Use your best judgement on and off the ice.

I just talked to the guy at Woods and Water and he had to take his shack off the beach Wednesday the last 50 yards was wearing waders through 3'+ deep water so that should give you an indication. What happened is the lake filled up 3'to 4' and the winter entrance is even worse because it's deeper back there.