• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Some Advice

old guy

I am looking for a used sled that will be used mostly for ice fishing - some trail riding, with both being done at a fairly slow speed - severe arthritis being the problem-

Anyway, I need electric start and reverse; I live by Lake of the Woods and Polaris seems to be the sled of choice here-I don't want to spend a lot of money as I will not be using the sled a lot-it has been suggested that a 97 or so Indy Classic or something similar would fill the bill for me -but,it is not easy to find one here that has not got a ton of miles on it -when a rare one does show up the price is near $2500, or more, which seems to be high for a sled that old-

It seems more often that older sleds, and other brands, with electric start and reverse, are on the market with somewhat lower miles-

but I have been told that I should go 97 or newer because of the change in suspension/track that took place then -I also am not locked into considering only Polaris -

So, what are your ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated - also, if you know of any dealers that happen to have a big inventory of used sleds would be helpful - maybe it is just this year, but I have been looking around in this general area, at both dealers and newspaper ads for some time and with little luck -

Thanks again, Dave

old guy, I see a lot of Polaris Classic Touring 500's, R/ES up there on the lake, that would be my first choice, but they do hold there value pretty high. I bought a 1995 440 Artic Cat Panther, 2 up, with R/ES, used, a couple years ago with about 1400 miles on it and am very satisfied with it, I drive easy also and mostly use it for fishing. You may want to call RV Sports in Thief River Falls. I am a want ad reader junkie, and have seen a couple of good buys under $2500, if I do I'll let you know. Good luck.

Not yet - Tomorrow I am going to look at one that sounds good - 1998 Polaris Classic Touring with 600 miles on it-another old guy like me has it for sale - thanks for your help - I am going to follow through on the machine you mentioned in your telephone call if this one doesn't work out - thanks again.

Yesterday I bought the 1998 Polaris Indy Classic Touring I mentioned earlier-I had no luck at the dealers, though I checked several weekly - I ran an ad in a couple of places and had a number of calls from people who were thinking about advertising their sleds, but had not yet done so - so perhaps if someone is looking for a used sled, this is something to consider - Kingfisher, thanks a lot for your help-if you get up this way, give me a call and we'll have a cup of coffee or something stronger -Dave

old guy, Sounds like you got yourself a very nice sled, hope it works out well for you. Thanks for the invitation, will try to look you up if in your area, we usually don't go further east than Long Point, but if we do will give you a call.