• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where to get a good atv trailer?

jeff127

I just got an atv last summer and am now looking to get a trailer for it. I am not worried about getting the cheapest trailer I just want one that is easy to load and can hold a wheeler and my otter. I have tried surfing the net but could find few companys that had some I liked. If anyone has found one they like please let me know.

thanks

jeff

Look at the Triton side loading trailer. Easy to load the ATV and pull the Otter up alongside the ATV. But, there are drawbacks if your ATV has bumpers, winches or extended cargo boxes. Depending on which accessories you have they may touch the side loading ramps when the ramps are lifted up. The trailer is only 350 pounds and pulls nice though.

I searched for an "ATV" trailer last spring too. Thought I wanted something billed more for ATVs then sleds. But I found out that what I really needed was just a snowmobile trailer with 13" radials. I ended up with a hell of a deal from an Aluma dealer down in Farmington. Really easy to deal with, I walked out with a 8x14 3 place trailer, tandem axle, 13" radials and salt shield for under $2k. Hell of a deal but that was spring time too and this was the last one he had. I actually wish I would have gotten the extra two feet, but I didn't have many options. I had 2 ATVs, 3 sled type houses that were all the size of the 3-man polar sport and a Clam 6800 on there last weekend when we went to LOW. Still had room coolers and extras on the trailer. PLanning to make a rack so we can stack the sled houses on top of each other for times when we have two snowmobiles and 4 houses. If you look around you may find your need is more towards a snowmobile trailer too; just seems its more adaptable to more situations then a standard ATV trailer.

Don't your Fleet @ Farm Stores sell trialers in MN., a 6x 8 would work very well with fold up ramps, even some Menards Storessell a cheap trialer that mite work, I find old boat trialers and make them into ATV trialers.

thanks for the replies, I will be out looking after the weekends over. I have been thinking about the 8 x 10 sled trailer with a slide out ramp vs the tilt bed trailer. I also think they would be more versitle. A buddy of mine uses a tilt bed sled trailer but I don't like it since loading and unloading is a chore especially with two wheelers.

thanks again

jeff

I agree that the snowmobile trailer is probably a lot more versatile. Not having a sled though, I bought a 5 x 8 steel trailer from Widdes in Cloquet(Esko). Its a very solid, well built trailer (Tophat brand), with 15 inch wheels and a full width, fold up ramp on the back. My only complaint is that I have to haul my fishtrap in the truck, as there just isnt quite enuf room unless I stand it up on its side.

I've got a Triton SL8 (2 place) ATV trailer. The nice part is I can drive on, drive off, since it's got loading ramps on both sides of the trailer. I hauled my ATV and Otter sled a couple of weekend ago with no problems. The only draw back to this style is the width. If it had a rear loading ramp, it would be perfect, for my use.

I think I paid right aroun $1000 for it new.

If the main use for the trailer will be hauling your atv and fishing gear in the winter you may want to consider an enclosed trailer. An enclosed trailer will keep your atv and gear from getting covered in road salt and slush.

Last fall I found an 6'-8" x 10' v-nose Featherlite (all aluminum) on hsolist for $2500. It's 13' long to the front of the V. I can get my Polaris 500, Otter fishhouse, 4x7 wood and canvas collapsable, sled for 4x7, and other misc. gear in the trailer. Best of all, when I am done fishing I just park it beside the garage, the only thing that I take out of it is my depthfinder so I can charge the battery. No time wasted packing and un-packing!

I mounted (4) D-rings in the floor to run ratchet straps over the back wheels. This allows the atv suspension to soak up the big bumps without thrashing the straps.

The enlosed trailer is REALLY handy!! Good luck fishin'!!

gvt, many people are doing that now, buying an enclosed trailer and leaving the machine inside. If you have the room to park such a trailer outside, it'd free up a lot of room in the garage.