• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

primary clutch: weights question

norm

here is my problem. my xlt 600 engages at about 5000 rpms and has a top end of around 65 mph. i am not so worried about getting more speed out of it but i would like it to engage more around 3000 -3500 rpms. i was thinking all i will need is heavier weights but should i also get a new spring too. the weights in it now are 46 grams and im thinking about 49 grams should do it. i am mainly wondering if i will also need to look at a new spring along with the weights. thanks

Norm,

Something doesn't seem to be right on your sled. I'm not big on Polaris's but 5000 rpm seems way to high for engagement and that machine should blow right past 65 with little effort.

Have you owned this since it was new? or did you purchase it used?

Maybe someone here can come up with a stock setting for this sled ( weights, spring color and helix maybe gearing?? ) or you might want to consult a dealer.

If you clutch has gone too far ( wore out ), you can get funny results like you are seeing too.

Mike

Chang out you spring that its what give your engagment rpm. Also I would more towards your driven clutch. sounds more like its wound way to tight and not allowing the clutches to fully open. That thing should touch 100 mph with little effort. Is the belt burning on thop side of the clutch? Sould like the clutching it all messed up. What year it the sled. I'll see if I can come up with some stock clutching specs out of the polaris performance manual and work tommmarrow.

ok heres whats up, i am not the original owner of this sled. i bought it in about 1999 or 2000.

these problems started happening after i was riding one day and the belt blew up (thats the best way to put it). I know the belt that was in it was an actual Polaris belt and the one thats in there now is a parts unlimited belt.

i went through the primary and found that someone had played around with the clutching before. so i put in new weights (the same as was in it but not stock) and the rollers that the weights slide on. i left the spring alone (again not stock but what was in there) the reson for replacing the weights and rollers was because the bushings were worn.

then i took apart the secondary and the helix was very rusty so i cleaned it up and put it back together. i also replaced the large bushing that goes around the outside of the helix and the three buttons that the helix rides on. i dont know if the secondary spring and helix are what came stock but i left both in there.

so since it ran good before and i didn't change anything that would affect the performance, i am thinking either i need to run it for awhile and "break in" the bushings i replaced, OR the parts unlimited belt is not quite the same as the polaris belt was. i never looked it up to see what belt i needed i just went to the dealership and said i needed a belt for my '95 xlt and thats what i got.

Sorry it got so long and thanks a lot for all the help!!

norm-

I always say 'keep it simple.' Sometimes the fix is so obvious you overlook it. I would double check the belt first. Sounds like its not the right belt.

-I would first compare Parts Unlimited width & length to the Polaris belt that you took off. There is a chance they grabbed you the wrong one. Possibly the cross reference in the computer was wrong too.

-Then look at getting the exact same part # Polaris OEM belt you took off since that one was working fine.

I don't get into too much clutch work other than regular cleaning so I can't help you there.

I had 2 different belts one time for my SRX Yamaha. One was really limp and one was a harder material. The hard belt was awesome the soft one was the exact problems you describe. They quit making the soft belt right after it was purchased by me. Night and day difference with belts. By the way, good job on replacing all the bushings and rollers with the weights. If you don't replace all the parts in a primary it will wear out 2/3rds of the bushings and weights. Clutch actually twists to the weak side and wears out 2 of the 3 weights and rollers.

Ok finally remembered to get the spec's This is taken from a 99 model year was all I could find. Depending on the type of XLT it is.

1999 XLT Special

0-900ft shift weight 10m bushed not gram weight in book

Primary spring Dark Blue

Secondary spring Silver set on second position

Helix R-32 degree

gearing is top 21 bottom 41 68 pitch chain

1999 XLT Classic

0-900ft shift weight is 10m bushed

primary spring is Silver/Gold

secondary spring is Silver on second position

helix 34 degree

gearing is 22 top 41 bottom 68 pitch chain

1999 Xlt Touring

Same as XLT clasic except for gearing

Gearing is 20 top 40 bottom 66 pitch chain

stock belt part number is 3211070 projected width is 1.375in or 34.93mm outside circumference is 47.250

Center to center distance is 12 inches or 305 mm

Hope this helps for ya

sledhead cool.gif

lawdog-I am pretty sure the belt is the problem but i havent gotten around to buying a new one yet. I figure theres no rush to buy one since theres only about 3" of snow on the ground here frown.gif I'll be sure to let ya know if the new belt helps whenever i get one.