• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas for SMALL auger gas can??

icehousebob

Like almost everyone, I mix a gallon of auger gas at a time. When I'm roaming the ice, I have the gallon can on my sled to refill the auger, if needed. Does anyone know where I could get a suitable container to hold about a pint of gas? That would save a lot of space and weight on my sled. I've been looking a while and can't find a small container that is proper for fuel and will take the abuse that an auger gas can goes through.

Yep - those are just the ticket! Get the kind with the built in pour spout, and you're good to go.

Just make sure you don't overfill one, and then leave it in the cab of the truck on a hot summer day.... took forever to get the gas smell out.

I must be slipping? I thought I cut alot of holes and so do the guys I fish with, but I can cut holes all day long with my StrikeMaster on the single tank of gas? I mean there has to be some time for fishing? Does'nt there?

My auger cuts really easy, yet, if I cut so many holes that I ran the tank dry, from walking, drilling, scooping, fishing, etc. I figure I would get a little tired?

I have a suggestion if you need more fuel....why not try to adapt a gas tank off a lawnmower, or something like that, something with a larger fuel capacity? Might be able to make it work, depending on how handy and inventive you are? Then you would'nt have to worry about carrying any extra. You know the old saying, "Neccessity is the mother of invention".

If you REALLY need the smaller can, I think Slayerfish nailed it. There are small containers built for carrying fuel in the camping section of most sporting goods stores. They are the size of your typical water bottle, but marked for fuel.

But I'll have to agree with the rest...I've never come close to running out of gas with my Strikemaster, so I've never thought about bringing the gas out there with me.

I have the fuel bottle made for backpacking. You can get them at sportsmans think it was like $10.00. It works great and don't have to worry about the pop bottle getting a hole in it. I never had to add to mine but it is nice to know if I need more I had some spare gas. Plus Im the kind of guy that would drill holes for anyone that would need it. I'm such a nice guy grin.gif

Dan fish-jumping.gif

I have used empty Gas Line de-icer bottles as spare mixed fuel containers. I filled them not quite full allowing for expansion, then snapped the cap and spun a wrap of electrical tape to insure the cap stays put. Be sure to write MIX on the bottle to avoid a mix-up.

One bottle is about 1/3 tank (+/-) and will keep you buzzing holes most of a day.

Quote:

Clean out a couple 20 oz. pop bottles and use them. Thats what I do when Im out on the ice.

Not the best idea, especially if there are youngin's about. Besides that, it's not legal. Gas MUST be placed in a red container and labeled for gasoline use.

Those pop bottles crack and leak gas all over in below zero temps., they just are not heavy enough plastic to stand the cold, could cause a fire or stink up the whole backend of your truck, shocked.gif