• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster clutch question?

Ed Carlson

I have a friend who has a 2 year old Lazier Mag 10". The clutch and/or gearbox locked up tight on him last season so it stays in gear all the time.

Has anyone had issues with this, and if so how costly was the fix?

He did hear there was a recall on some Lazier Mags due to this clutch issue. He also had welds seperate on the auger flighting but he can fix that easy enough as he is an ace welder. Has anyone experienced this or had a similar warrantee issue on the gear box or clutch?

Since it was off warrantee at 1 year we think it will have to be repaired at the local service center. (Which has turned out be Scheels on 13th Ave here in Fargo….maybe?)

So he is wondering how bad this whole deal will likely be in the end if the recall rumor was not an issue.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you guys have.

Hello Ed,

I have a Strikemaster Mag 2000 10" and have had to replace the clutch several times. The most common problem seems to be that one of the two springs break that hold the two halves of the clutch together. When that happens the auger is engaged all of the time. I don't remember the cost of the replacement clutch was but I think it was under $25.00. Seems to be a weak point with my particular model. I have had it apart several times.

David F.

Ed...Talk to Sye with strikemaster....I blew the clutch up on my 10 inch lazer and they fixed it for free... It took a matter of 20 minutes. Great customer service there. The problem is what mtfishman stated above.

Quote:

Hello Ed,

I have a Strikemaster Mag 2000 10" and have had to replace the clutch several times. The most common problem seems to be that one of the two springs break that hold the two halves of the clutch together. When that happens the auger is engaged all of the time. I don't remember the cost of the replacement clutch was but I think it was under $25.00. Seems to be a weak point with my particular model. I have had it apart several times.

David F.

Hey Dave, I have a StrikeMaster 10 inch 2000 as well, how difficult is it to replace the clutch...I've had mine for three years and have never had a problem...just wondering if I should maybe be doing some "preventative" maintainence..

Greenhorn,

It is fairly easy to replace the clutch. No special tools needed. I would think less than a half hour to do the job. I try to keep a extra clutch on hand because I am a long distance from any service center that has parts.

David F.

They got back to me and said there was no recall. They said the StrikeMaster clutch had no big issue, just a "Rumor". Therefore, if I send it in they will look it over. Fair enough, I guess.

I did hope to be able to get it serviced more locally because he needs it ASAP. I am trying to get info if Scheels will do it because they are listed as a local "Service Center".

A clutch is no big deal to change if you have one. I will see what may be done locally. If not, I guess we send it in.

Ed

Cy is a great guy and goes out of his way for people....Thats why I own a strike master. Don't want to get into the auger debate, but customer service is one big reason in choosing which brand of auger./ Glad you got helped out!

Here is the raw truth. Putting a 10" drill assembly on a 2hp engine is wrong. That is why so many are posting a clutch problem. 9" is max! Any auger company. Go to D-Rock in New Brighton. Look at their parts deparment. Customer service from an auger company is great, but why put up with a bad clutch system for good service?

Ahhh...Always such a ray of sunshine. smirk.gif

Ed,

Glad you found a solution. Clutches are easy to replace as long as the surface the pads push against is not damaged. It will be a good time to change that gear oil too. With my old chipper auger I had to remove the gear box cover to get to the screws that hold the clutch case on.

Dan,

You may have some lube in your clutch housing that is causing it to slip.

I have never needed to change a clutch in my Jiffy’s yet. smirk.gif Four Jiffy’s in 30 years and only one busted recoil rope ain’t too shabby. Ya, I know, I trade more often then most folks. Yet I am not exactly easy on gear. wink.gif

I somewhat agree a 9" is as big as most folks need to go now. My last 2 augers were 9", one a Lightning and the other a Legend Model 34 3 HP.

The Jiffy Stealth model 34 3 HP with a 9" is my personal choice these days. The 2 HP 8" Stealth is a very good match for power to weight and the 2 HP can easily handle the 9" if you want a lighter unit.

I do commend Cy and the service department over at Strikmaster for their great service. Historically I am not a Strikemaster kinda guy yet I am not afraid of recommending good service when I see it.