• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jigging rods

freighttrain50

It depends on what you are looking to do. I typically like a softer tip for panfish, and I use a spring-bobber too. I like the Berkley Lightning Rod (Genz series) for an all around rod. They have many weights from ultralight to heavy action. Thorne Brothers has many styles and offers great advice if you ever get by there.

It all depends on what your jigging for. Walleyes you might want a medium or a mediumlite. Crappies or perch you could go from an ultralite to a mediumlite, for those slabs. You could have a whole bucket full of jigging rod for every situation your going to encounter on the lake. But if you were going to buy just one maybe look at a mediumlite and you could always put a spring bobber on for the lite bitters. Check out www.midwestrodandreel.com they have a great selection to choose from and have great quality to.

icerod005.jpg

Take to the open water concepts when you are deciding on what type of rod you want for the species you are targeting.

For smaller size fish (panfish), obviously you want a lighter- more flexible graphite rod to work the fish. For a little bit bigger fish (crappies/perch), go with a medium light rod so that you have a little more backbone to work the fish. For larger fish (walleyes, pike, catfish) go with a medium action because these normally have the backbone you are looking for to work these fish up.

So that gives you the action in a rod, but it doesn't give you any specifics to what brands to buy. Right now is a perfect time to buy rods. You have Midwest Rods, Jrs Rods, Thorne Bros, St.Croix and Genz rods to all choose from ( I might have missed one or two). You'll want to test each one because each company has their own specific action they have created.

So hopefully that helps you out in a pinch.

You might want to do a search on this, I know Matt Johnson had a heck of a story earlier on types of rods and what ones to use for certain types of rods.

BUT it all boils down to how the rod feel comfortable in your hand!

Perfect example is I bought a Genz medium rod years ago (a few years after they hit the market). Fishing eyes' with this rod was my goal and it was fishing with a stick. They must have had HUGE WALLEYES in mind when they made the rod. Needless to say, I don't fish with it anymore

SO get out and test the waters!

There are a lot of nice choices out there. First thing you may want to consider is your budget. If price isn't a major factor it's hard to go wrong with a custom built rod from Midwest or Thorne Bros. Both companies make rods of the highest quality. If you are looking for something in the mid range of prices you have many options. Some companies that I would recommend are Berkley, St. Croix, JRs, or Frabill. The best advice is to visit your local tackle shop and take a look at a few. Ask the salesman what he recommends, most of the time they can help you out. Just let him know what you will be fishing for.

Jason Erlandson

Okay guys, gotta ask. I understand why you want various actions for various fish, but what is the use of buying a really quality rod then hanging a spring bobber on the end of it? I understand the need for an indicator on a tough bite and I carry one set up with me all the time. It just isn't hanging on a $50 rod. Guess I've always felt the biggest advantage to quality sticks is sensitivity. Just askin'.

I've been using a spring bobber for 5 or 6 years now and absolutely swear by it. I consistantly outfish my buddies who are not using one, because I see the bites that only show up as a twitch in their bobber. The combination of the spring bobber and a good flasher is deadly.

Regarding rods, I've been using an old stick as my rod for the past couple years in conjunction with my spring bobber, I think I am going to upgrade to a newer rod very soon. Mostly because I'd like a rod with more give so I don't snap off any big crappies when I get on top of them. I am thinking either the St. Croix or Gander Mtn. guide series in ultralight 28'...

Hidehunter, Your absolutly right why spend $50 when your going to put a spring bobber on it. I was try to give him some options. A lot of guys cant go out and buy a whole set of custom made rods the first year. I was just saying if he was going to just buy one rod maybe a mediumlite could be a multi-purpose rod, for walleyes then you could add a spring bobber for panfish.

Hidehunter, Your absolutly right why spend $50 when your going to put a spring bobber on it. I was try to give him some options. A lot of guys cant go out and buy a whole set of custom made rods the first year. I was just saying if he was going to just buy one rod maybe a mediumlite could be a multi-purpose rod, for walleyes then you could add a spring bobber for panfish.

Understand what you're saying Ranger (both times wink.gif) I was really asking more in general. See alot of guys talking about buying high quality rods - and spring bobbers. When you're fishing off the rod tip I understand the extra sensitivity. Thanx for the response.