• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Question

slick814

I was thinking of taking my open water light weight reel off the rod it's on and putting it onto an ice rod.

Any pros or cons for this?

I'll be cleaning it up and lubing with my winter reel lube, ice line, etc.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's going to affect it come next spring if I use it this way.

I agree with jigginjim. If the weight seems balanced to the rod you are in luck. I use a couple of reels from my softwater arsenal during the hardwater season; I have not had to specially lube them as of yet either. Last year at the Cool Cats I used a 25yr old shakspeare spinning reel for the big thugs...it worked fine. To be sure, a reel can outmatch a rod(or vice versa), but hey, if you have a nice summer reel that fits, don't hesitate to use it.

Final note: I would recommend some winter-type lube on said reel. In my case it worked out o.k., but it wasn't super cold that day. Also, don't forget to change the line.

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the input. In my case, I've got an ultralight Shimano reel that fits my new St. Croix ice rod perfectly. The balance is nice, and I don't think it's going to overpower the rod in any way. Looks like I'll take it apart & lube it up while I've g ot the winter stuff out.

Again, thanks for the input. grin.gif

You should be fine, I use some of my open water reels and have worked fine and I know that Dave Genz (Mr. Icefishing) uses larger reels with his setups, I think he likes the bigger reels because the spool diameters are larger. The smaller reels you can get a lot of line coil. Berkley micro Ice line works good.

I use 2 cetus 4 ball bearing reel, 2 synergy reel, and 3 tiny 20's, they all work good, but your can notice the difference between the good reels and the cheap reels. For the most part your will be fishing in shelter of some type anyway, and it doesn't get that cold in them. You will not have any problems.

Thanks guys. Didn't want to take too much of a chance with that reel. It's one of my higher end ones, but it fits that rod so perfectly, I figured it was worth a shot.

I'm definitely doing it now. Thanks again! grin.gif

Andy... I think that is you, as you are the only six foot eight lund bass boat running guy that I know.

Hey how are you doing, this is John... I have got some pictures from our fishing trip this summer that I can send you via email if you want. I need to drop a CD off at Jason's house as well before Christmas. I will look for your email...

Take care!

SUNNYD

Hey Davey... just thought I would bug you a bit. I went to the HSOforum of the guide we talked to the other day and he has some pretty good Aqua View videos, not a whole lot of info on his jigs, but the gill pill looks almost exactly like the old pounder jigs, now hopefully they will have similar weight and I will buy a bunch from him. Are you wanting to swing down to Thorne Brothers this weekend? Wife is planning on visiting her sister so once again it will be a guys only weekend. I am not feeling too confident that we will be on the ice this weekend so I think the father-in-law would be game to go as well.

OK back to the "reel" topic. Can't go wrong with the Cetus, I own 6 in total, 4 500SB's and 2 500SS's. I haven't found another reel that performs quite as well when ice-fishing and I probably will not switch until my father-in-law finds something that is similar or better, he is currently experimenting with an abu-garcia UL C300U (approx. $35) and Daiwa Laguna LA500. I think the Laguna will probably be a good one, but at almost $70 it better be.

Good luck reel shopping!

SUNNYD