• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile for ice fishing

styx

I am considering a sled for ice fishing. I want to be more mobile this year. I have never owned a sled and need advice on what I should look for . I want a 2 up machine. Something that can tow a portable. Speed is not an issue. I don't plan on doing much more with it than ice fishing. Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

I will consider new and used. I don't know too much about how much maintenance these require. I may look for a new one since i am not too mechanical.I want to stay around 3-4000 if possible.

You'll probably want to look at the touring models if you want a 2 up, its going to be tough to stay in your price range for a new machine but you never know, especially with the carry over models out there.

I would look at the 340 and up fan cooled if I was looking for a machine for the purpose you described, simply because they are pretty carefree. If you get yourself into marginal snow conditions or hard snow, cooling becomes a factor for a liquid. Hyfax might wear off in these conditions but your can replace them with ease, if you find yourself running thru quite a few hyfax, put more idler wheels on.

If you think you might be running in these kind of condition, get yourself some studs ( 48 or 96 ) and a good set of carbide skegs.

Keep your options open, you might be able to find a good deal on a single seater and have a 2 up seat put on it.

Good luck......

Mike

Personally, if I were to buy new or used for strictly ice fishing and to just putz around a bit, I would find a Ski Doo Tundra, these sleds are not too expensive but they are work horses. You wont get much speed out of them, but trust me they are dependable and will last if you maintain them.

As mentioned, the Tundra would be a good ice fishing sled.

The Polaris widetrack with the two speed gearbox or the Arctic Cat bearcat are also good choices.

I watched a guide in the NW Angle pulling 8 x 12 rental houses with his studded widetrack.

Styx, a liquid cooled Polaris touring model would be ideal. They are a dime a dozen and very reliable. 2000 model or newer should be $2500 or so. There are a million of them around. I think my neighbor paid $1800 for his 2001 500 2 up Touring, electric start & reverse. There is a guy over by East Rush Lake that has maybe 50-100 used 2 ups right now. I am not going to mention his name, but asked around. But they would be an excellent choice for the money............come on snow!!!!!!!

Oh yea, get at least a 500 or larger for a 2 up. Dont get fooled by the 340 talk. They are cheap, yes. Thats like putting a 4 cylinder in a 50 foot RV. Will not last long, I've seen way to many 340's needing new engines. Nice new looking bodys, but dont run........ shocked.gif

thanks for the suggestions guys. Is there a good resource to use to evaluate used sleds? Also what is the benefit of liquid vs. fan cooled. Are there dealers that you guys have had good luck with. I am in the twin cities.

I bought a fan cooled 2-up Polaris last year for an ice-fishing machine. I looked specifically for a fan-cooled after fishing with folks that had water-cooled machines during no or little snow conditions. If there is not much snow on the ice, you have to move along at a good clip to keep a water cooled unit from over-heating. Should not have that problem with a fan-cooled unit.

I also bought mine with the expectation that I would only use it for icefishing. It is a ton o fun tooling around and I put on quite a few non ice fishing miles.

Next year, we are planning a 4 day long weekend to the UP for some serious riding. Why wait till next year?? I figure that I will be able to afford another machine, than either my wife or daughter can ride their own machine.

Tom B

I bought one after asking that same question on this site a couple of years ago. Good advice here. My opinion is do not buy a used sled with over 1000 miles on it. You do not have to as there are lots of them out there under 1000 miles. I paid $1,300. for a sled with 700 miles on it. It was 10 years old but the key was low miles, it is in perfect shape, 2 up, 440, Artic Cat. Any sled with 2000 miles on it is getting to the well used stage. Do not buy a sled that has a new motor. The rest of the sled was beat up along with the old motor. Get a two up as stated and get one with a big windshield. You can buy a brand new snowmobile that is a year or two old (last years model that did not sell) for $4,000. or less. Snowmobiles are the way to go for icefishing. You will run circles around any ATV out there.

Last year was my first sled year ever. Bought 2 used artic cat wildcats a few months apart. Wanted artic cats cause there is a rockin dealer in Tower and they will help me with problems I can't fix without having to drive/walk to Eveleth etc.

1 carb, no reverse, no studs

1 EFI with reverse, and studs

If I did it again, I'd buy 2 EFIs and DEFINATELY reverse. No reverse sucks BIG TIME. EFI starts WAY easier (both are pull start). My kid and wife can't start the carb model but can start the EFI. They are exactly the same engine and year.

I bought the carb model under the pretense that they would be more reliable since I am mostly using them where there is no one around. But after talking to lots of guys after, I decided that the risk of EFI failure was relatively remote. I do like being able to putz with the carbs, but that is just me liking to tinker. Not jetting them or anything fancy like that (yet LOL).

Has been snow mostly so studs vs none has not been a big deal. I would put studs on if fishin was my main goal. Now if you are MN registered sled no stud permit is needed. You DO need one if you are from out of state though. (And you need to buy a annual sticker too if you are from out of state as well.)

Have fun.

I had both a 440 and 500 long track polaris sleds in the 90-94 vintage. I couldn't tell much difference in pulling power between the two. Top end difference was about 5-7mph. Get what fits the budget. 500 might be a little more durable than the 440 though, but I never had a problem with mine.

I would definately look into the carry over sleds, I bought a 2000 ZL 600 EFI in '02 for 4 grand, 0 miles. Comparable sleds I was looking at were over 3 grand with 2k + miles and ridden hard, so it was a no brainer. I'd stay with twins instead tripples, but if your only looking at 340-500's thats not a concern because I don't know of any tripples smaller than a 580cc.

I have only had the templight come on once and that was pulling my fish house slow without much snow, so I can see the argument for fan cooled sleds. As stated before, a two up sled would be convienient, I had a polaris longtrack with the rack on back and it was nice for fishing, but I didnt feel I used it enough so I got rid of it.