• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing line

iceweasel

Dose everyone change there fishing line every year or use the line for two years or longer. Do you just change it when you think it is going bad. One more Question What pound line do you use for walleyes and crappies, I will be going to upper red lake for crappies. Thanks guys and good luck on the ice and stay safe.

I like to change all my line at the start of the new season. I probably don’t really need to, but sometimes I get too excited for what ever season is approaching and I need something to do get me pumped up. It’s also nice to have a full spool of line as apposed to half full; the line falls off a little easier. I would probably put on at least 4 pound test if not 6 for the crappies and walleyes up there.

I use 4lbs for crappies and 8lbs for walleyes. Change line evey season, actually i just today purchased my winter line, it is Trilene Micro Ice. Ive used it the past two winters and never had a problem with it.

I change all mono line out for sure each season. If the line has been in storage, it is very likely to have degraded or taken on enough spool memory to be a pain. So to save on hassles out it all goes, and on with the new.

Superbraids I backspool to another reel so the unused line is transferred to the top. I can easily get two seasons out of my Power Pro Ice Line by backspooling.

For panfish I spool up with Power Pro Ice in 1/8. For walleye, I use 2/10 and 4/15 depending on the application.

On larger game like pike or catfish, then I use 4/15 and 6/20 Power Pro Ice. It is unusual for me to go any heavier unless I am targeting something like Muskie then I may go to 10/40 Power Pro.

I change it out once a year min.

I also use a few of my reels for open water as well so those are changed out more frequently.

walleye Jigging rods - power pro main line with #6 florocarbon leaders.

walley deadstick #4-#6 seaguard floro

Crappie #2-#4 berkley Vanish

gills - #1-#2 (#1 micro ice, #2 - vanish)

I am going to use power pro this year 2/10. This will be the first year using anything other than mono. Can I tie the PP directly to the jig, or do you guys usually use a leader of mono? If you use a leader, do you lose that sensitivity that PP offers? Thanks.

I wouldn't be so worried about the diameter as I would be the color of Power Pro. From expierence with Fire Line- I tie on a 3-5 ft. piece of mono as a tip section and then tie on my lure.

That dark color line attached to the jig just might look a little funny in a their (fish) world.