• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb question from newbie with a protable

ColdColdCold

Okay I just moved to Minnesota last year and caught the ice fishing bug with some help of a few of the regulars over the past 12 months... My question is I just purchased a portable ice house and have heard some rumors about needing to license it or post something on the ice house to signify Ownership... I can't seem to get a handle on the differnces between permenant and portable for the regs...Thanks in advance guys... shouldn't be long now

Go purchase a shelter license...not a spearing house license. You will get a self-adhesive tag to put somewhere visible. I take a split ring about the size a person would use for car keys and place it on the hole on the door zipper pull. Then I cut piece of plastic in a rectangle the size of the tag when folded. Punch a hole in the plastic in a corner, put it on the split ring and fold the tag over the plastic tab. You will also need to make an owner board showing your name and address or your fishing license number.

ColdColdCold-

Good question. A permanent is a house that you would leave out on the ice over night or for a number of days unattended. A portable would be a house that you bring with you on the ice, fish in it that day, and bring it off of the ice with you when you are done that day.

Either way, you need to license it. Just go to an ELS licensing place (basically wherever you buy your fishing license) and tell them you need an ice house license. I can't remember the cost, $15 (?), and they issue you a sticker that needs to be posted on the outside of your house. You also need to have your complete name and address, driver's license number or Minnesota DNR number displayed on the outside in letters at least 2 inches high.

p.58 of the 2004 MN Fishing Regulations will have the rest of the details.

I fish out of a portable house that is black, and do a lot of fishing at night. I have leared also to put on some type of reflector to make my pop up more visible to others who use the lake. I think the regulation is for permanents only, but this is just a personal recomendation.

CrappieTom covered the MN deal very well. Anthing that can be used as a shelter needs as permit in MN.

FYI- In ND, if you ever fish over this way, you do not need one anymore. All you need is your name and personal ID on a board or on your hut.

Don't feel dumb for asking, I also asked for a clarification on the MN regs on a hut just the other day.

Hope this helps.

ogre...you do need reflectors on a portable...check the regs for precise wording, but i believe it is a minimum of 4 square inches per side. most new portable have the reflectives sewn right into the fabric. get some good reflective tape(3m type product) and stick it to each side...

good luck