• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Banning ATV's on ICE

Kodiak

you never know, they dont care if you get your ice shack on the ice. There is a big ANTI atv movement and i wouldnt be suprised what the law makers and tree huggers try to do next.

That's why it's important to stay in touch with government actions concerning ATVs. Even if you don't want to join the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota (ATVAM) or an ATV club, you should go to ATVAM's HSOforum and get on its email list. ATVAM sends out email updates on ATV matters.

They waited for ice to ticken up for their car or truck, or snowmobile.

Hmm I wonder what people did before the recurve or compond bow, or smokeless powder or depeth indecators and fish indecators or under water cameras? Probely used the best and easiet means they had hat their dispoal just like they do now.

Think about this for a minute. Set one of your ATV tires on your foot. Does it hurt? Can you feel anything at all?

Now have your buddy stand on your foot, I bet that hurts!

The reality is most ATVs have such little PSI, like my tires hold 5.5 PSI in the rear, that the pressure on the ice is actually less then if a person were to stand in the same spot.

That being said, 4" is a good number for me too.

Come on Dave....1000 lbs? Either you lost some weight since the last time I saw you, or you dont carry much gear. HeHeHe Just kiddin Dave....yes its me! I also like at least 4 inches of good ice before going on it with a wheeler. In my younger days I foolishly rode on less and lived to tell about it, but I have been up to my chest in freezing water before and it aint really all that fun.

I would have to ask are you talking a lake with or with out springs or a consentrated current. Springs or current can take you from a foot of ice to 1/2" of ice much to fast to be able to react. They are the main reason so meny people go through the ice every winter. Undr normal conditions I would agree with 4- 6 inches of ice.

just wondering dont most or all lakes have springs and underwater current? or is this something different? but yeah i know what your talking about, there is a spot on prior that is like what you are talking about! very freaky stuff!

I believe there will never be more regs for atv's on frozen lakes. Atv's don't damage frozen lakes. There are plenty reasons for common sense regs on soft ground and I have an ugly example right in front of my house on the county road right of way - 8" deep ruts from ATV's with washouts on a bunch of driveway approaches. I own an atv and love it. It is mostly a tool for chores around the place and works great as a mobile ice fishing cruiser.