• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tackle boxes

frabillfisher

I carry 1 small backpack with all my gear in it. I have seperate small plano trays for spoons, jigs, swimming lures and soft plastics. My gloves, hats, socks, rags, line, lure flash and other goodies all fit in with the tackle boxes. I dont always carry it all. If Im going light it may be 1 small tray, a couple rods, LX-3 and lantern in my Otter. If its real early its a hand auger and my Revolution with everything in it and the LX-3. The Marcum is the heaviest thing but I just cant fish without it!

I throw all my crappie-sunfish lures in one box. My box has foam on one side and small compartments on the other. Plano came out with them a few years ago- nice little unit. I also have another tackle box (has about 8-9 compartments)for all my chubby darters, swedish pimples, and other walleye-pike tackle.

I leave everything in my trap.

I use a few small ones that will fit in a bib pocket. Using one at a time keeps the weight, size and confusion down.

One for Crappies/Sunnies, another for Northern/Tip up, and another for Walleye. Saves time to have the stuff you'll be using with you, and not a lot of extra junk to sift through.

I have my small panfish jigs, etc. in a Flambeau fly box. Real nice unit, foam on one side(just stick the hooks in) and 6 small compartments on the other side. For my spoons, swimming lures, etc. , I also use a couple of the smallish multicompartment units. The best advice I can give is to get hook bonnets for all of the spoons etc. The hook bonnets allow me to put multiple lures of the same size/style in the same compartment without them coming out like a barrel of monkeys.

Start with your tote system. If you’re a pail hopper kinda guy, there are round tackle tray systems out there that is stackable. They are handy but not as well built as many Plano or Rubbermaid box’s. If you have satchel tote systems get out the tape and see what size box's are most easily stowed and build from there.

I like the water tight Rubbermaid box’s and the 2 sided Plano box's. I can store jigs by species and activity level in the 2 sided units for fast access. The micro jigs store best in a fly box and can accommodate a lot in a small area. I also like to take a marker and write what is what on the lids so I can reduce search time in the dark.

I still use an original Croxton Pond ice pack and it holds tons of stuff. If I were to need a new pack I am eyeballing the new Ready Rig Pack as a good addition to my gear storage needs. I like the modular configuration of the Ready Pack system with its detachable outside pack. The Revolution ice tote system sounds like a very good choice too but I have yet to see one up close.

Whatever cases or box's you chose ask to see what their optimum use temp range is. Some just are not made to take cold temps and will crack quickly.