• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MuzzleLoading

Just wondering what you guys that have been muzzleloading before do with your gun at nite when shooting time ends? Do you shoot off the round? Unscrew the breach plug and empty that way? I really dont feel too good about taking the primer off and leaving the powder and powerbelt in the barrel. I've been thinking about it and not sure what I will do. If I shoot at the end then I will need to do some good cleaning before I go out the next morning, not the end of the world but would rather not smirk.gif.. Just wondering what all you guys that have done it before do?? I appreciate it. Good luck this weekend and BE SAFE!!

I leave mine with the charge in it, cap off, in the back of the truck overnight. It stays cold so you don't get any condensation inside to get the powder wet. In 8 years of hunting I have never failed to have the gun go off after doing that. Good Luck!

As stated twice above, cap off with powder bullet in. Do not bring it inside leave it cased in a vehicle or outside where condensation won't occur. If it snows or after a few days I may take breach plug out and replace the powder if I think it may have got snow in the barrel while hunting. Never had a misfire. Keep any caps in a separate location and keep gun locked in vehicle. It's legal to keep an uncapped muzzleloader loaded in the case in a vehicle is because it is safe.

It's your choice when it comes to safety weather or not you leave the charge in. If you do leave it in, do not let that gun get warm. That powder will become almost useless. I learned the hard way on a nice doe one year. Personaly, I think the plastic jackets on sabots lose some of their sealing efficiency if you try to just push it through and then reuse it. I have not used the powerbelts yet though.

Leave it in the cold or use a brand new sabot and jacket the next day, again just personal preferences there.

Totally agree, no reason to empty that gun every night, just take the ignition away and you are fine.

ALSO couldn't agreee more about keeping it out in the cold. The changing temps is where the moisture comes from that is about the only thing that can screw up the powder.

Thanks guys!! That is good info. That is what I wanted to hear but just was not too sure about the whole idea. I will for sure leave it out in the cold during the nite. That makes alot of sense. Once again, Thanks and good luck!

I leave the ML decaped and charged. The gun stays out in the cold and is not taken inside.

One thing I do is seal the nipple and bore with plastic wrap. I cut a 2 1/2 inch circle of plastic and secure it with a rubber band on the bore. The plastic over the nipple is secured with the hammer.

I never take the bore cover off while hunting as it doesn't affect accuracy and gives the barrel a good seal. No missfires yet in nine years.