• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip up hole cover material

frabillfisher

Frabill,

The ones I use are from Stone Legacy, the FreezeBee. The look like they are made out of nylon with a rigid ring sewed along the circumference of it. They work very well.

If you figure in your time (and potential frustration), I doubt you would save much money making them yourself. But, if you're the project type of guy, I wish the best of luck. I'm way too uncoordinated to make that type of stuff.

I second the Stone Legacy Freezebee for placing under tip-ups. Another nice feature about the Freezebee is that you can use it to jig through as well. I'll use it when I'm fishing panfish in gin clear water and light pentration/shadow needs to be at a minimum. In shallow water they excel for doing just that. I know a lot of anglers like to just keep some extra slush in the hole, but the Freezebee is another option that has worked for me in the past.

I believe they are about $15 for two...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I know several people including myself that just cut some old thick carpet and cut a straight line from one side to the center and used it as an economical solution to covering your tip up holes. works for me. maybe not as "stylish" as the new fangled covers though.

Ok, I'll give away my best idea ever... :-) Go to an auto parts store, buy a pack of the interlocking foam floor garage mats. They are about 1/2" thick closed cell foam, usually 24"x24". They have little ears on them that lock the mats together. They usually come in a pack of 4 for about $9 or so. Now, cut each mat in quarters, so you end up with 4 - 11 1/2 x 11 1/2 (approx) square for each mat. That's 16 per package. A utility knife works great. Now, drill a 1/2" hole in the center of each mat piece, and cut a slit from the hole to one outside edge. You know have made 16 tipup hole covers that work awesome, for $9 Sell some to your buddies, and yours become free! (who needs 16 anyways?) They are fantastic, the holes stay totally ice free and the foam never freezes in like carpet does. Carpet gets wet, soggy, gross. And I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay $7-9 for one hole cover. These are the ticket, try 'em you'll like 'em!!