• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE HOUSE -- BUILD OR BUY

StrosLit31

greenhorn-

I went over budget on my house, I think it is inevitable.

I work in the architectural field so of course I've got my house drafted out in CAD, fairly accurate materials list, and a decent cost estimate. I did the cost estimate about a 8-9 months before I started construction. Well, much to my surpise, everything had gone up in price! Oops. Pink rigid insulation was a couple bucks a sheet more, plywood was more, 2x4s were more, pole barn steel was more... Well, you get the picture.

It is also easy to forget how much is spent on screws, nuts & bolts, nails, caulking, adhesives, tools you might not have, sawblades, drill bits, wiring, propane fittings, soldering iron, spray foam, primer, paint, paintbrushes, etc.

Many people have indicated getting nickle & dimed to death, these are the items that will do it to you.

Last year I built a 7x14 on a crankdown frame with leaf-spring suspension. I have about $2800 invested and that is with a $450 double rear door. Comparing my house to a bought house I saved about $3500. I only have probably 30-35 hours into building it. If you take the time and do it, you can get it built rather quickly.

Two yeas ago my buddy built a 7x12 and welded the frame himself. He had only $1200 into the whole thing when he was finished.

My house is built pretty simply, 2x2 walls wrapped with Tyvek and then ribbed stell over that. In the walls I have 1 1/2" strofoam. On the inside I have 1/8" solid wood paneling on the bottom 4' and the top part is mossy oak paneling. I would build another one in a heartbeat. If you are looking at a 10 - 12 k house I think you should be able to build it for 1/2. This is my opinion only, and it is based on my experiences with building houses.

Brian