• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod and gear bags

JoeTC

I'm looking at getting one of those gear and rod bags cause I'm sick of carrying all my rods and gear in a bucket and having to worry about breaking them. Has anyone tried these and how do they work? Do they provide good protection for your rods? I've looked at the stone legacy revolution and the croxton pond one at cabelas and they both look nice. Can anyone suggest any others to look at?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There's a whole slew of them to look at. JR's has a nice bag, HT brought a bunch of containers in from China and have loaded up all the big box stores with cheap bags - looks like they're trying to knock the other bag companies out of business in an attempt to corner the market. Ready Rigs have a nice set of rod carriers.

The top bag out there for carrying a lot of gear as well as rod protection has to be the Revolution. Still have a soft spot for the Croxton Pond bag as well. They're the ones who first brought us the Rod and gear bags. Ready Rigs first brought us the rod carriers.

Now the Revolution is the first one to bring a bag with plastic rod protectors and ample storage for all your ice fishing gear, a carry handle and backpack straps all in one.

I've got a couple Ready Rigs and they work great. I have one for my pan fishing rods, and another for my walleye rods. They protect the rod by having a plastic tube that you slide them into. The reels are protected by a wool type lining on the inside. Way better than the bucket set up!

I stopped in gander the other day, and saw a new ready rig product that looked pretty interesting. It was a rod pack/ tackle bag, but made into a nice sized backpack with a waist strap. It looked like you could fit everything you'd need in there (minus an auger grin.gif) including your graph. Anyone heard anything about these packs? I guess there probably hasn't been too much use of them yet, since they're new this year, and we're still waiting PATIENTLY for ice grin.gif

I've used a golf bag for all my gear since I was a kid, and my dad since he was one. Works great. Lots of pockets for storage, carry strap, etc. I always get razzed at fishing tourneys, but much better than a bucket!

I use the croxton pond bag and love it.It holds lots of gear in the side pockets and i have managed to squeeze 7 rod/reel combos into it. It sounds like the new revolution bags have better protection for the rods but i havent broke any with the croxton. Adam

Do a search on this site for gear bags or any of the above mentioned brand names. This topic has came up several time the past few months and there should be plenty for you to read about. I myself have both the revolution and the croxton bag. Like both of them. Croxton has a new bag out that will carry your graph as well. Lots of options out there.

I got one from JR's start of last year and really like it. Holds a lot of stuff, sturdy construction. JR's is pretty close to Maple Grove, you should check it out. Always find something good there.

Yep, there's several options available out there for rod bags...

Stone Legacy makes a few options, the Premium Ice Rod Case and the Revolution. The Premium Ice Rod Case can hold up to 3 rods and can also store extra tackle. The Revolution can hold up to 8 rods and can also hold just about all of your tackle. Both are excellent choices...

Premium1_Small.jpg

Premium Ice Rod Case

Revolution1_Small.JPG

Revolution

JR's Tackle also makes a couple options for ice anglers. Both options are similar to Stone Legacy according to sizes. The Ultra Ice Bag will hold up to 4 rods plus tackle. The Arctic Ice Bag is a padded rod bag that can hold several rods as well as your tackle and gear...

jrsrodbag2.gif

Ultra Ice Bag

jrsrodbag1.gif

Arctic Ice Bag

With the equipment nowadays we can keep out gear protected and safe from the conditions that ice fishing can bring.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I would reccomend the Ready Rig bags also. They are top notch and carry all of your equipment securely. They are made of quality material. Also they make a great auger bag that will prevent gas and fumes from going to the rest of the vehicle. They are the only ones that I use.

Rich

I think the new style rod and gear bags are very useful. They are the next evolutionary step in ice fishing from an efficiency standpoint. So much easier to stay organized with them and helps keep rod tip from breaking.

[added by editor: Link to our sponsors bag and it's a darn good rod and gear bag;

The Revolution rod & gear bag - CLICK HERE ]