• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Bobbers

Wavey Davey

From my experience they don't. I have better luck with buying a rod that has a ultra sensitive tip on it. When ever I have used them they just get in the way. I also know of a lot of guys that use them and love them. Just my opinion.

I don't do as much jigging as most of you but I find that they work great. I've had many days when the panfish would hit on the way up. With very light gear, it was difficult to feel the hits. The spring bobber fixed that. Some of the old timers out here use them while jigging for smelt. Our land locked smelt are fairly small...only 3-6" and hit very light.

Wavey,

Here is my explanation. I'm sure others will be better but here goes. Attached on the end of your rod with shrink tube or something else is a spring like a ball point pen has. Your line goes through it. The spring is flimsy so if a fish even smells it the spring will wiggle. I've seen other kinds of spring bobbers that are a thin stip of metal but, I don't think that they are sensative as the coiled spring type.

I hope I didn't confuse you more.

If any one says they dont help catch fish I would like to fish with them, because, spring bobbers help, how many people have seen a sunfish suck in and blow a bait out in a split second, this will show on a spring bobber. Also I have had good luck when the walleyes are really finicky, like after a big front or storm to downsize, throw a lindy fat boy or a "fish heavy" jig slow way down and wait for them to inhale the little morsel, has caught fish when deadsticking hasnt.

Best Fishes

Chris

Huskie's right. They really help with panfish and super light jigs. I use the thin metal strips also, they stick out about 3" past the end of rod. Throw away the shrink tube or clip on stuff. wrap with thread and superglue. It works great, and is not bulky, line doesn't catch on it, etc. If you've never used a spring bobber, just try it. The way I see it, it can only help! Dave S

Electrical tape is my choice to mount them. I use the thin metal strip type also. The nice thing is you can bend them up so that the weight of the jig pulls the spring down straight. When those finicky panfish hit it in an upward motion the spring will bend up. If they smack it, it pulls down.

I have bought 6 or 8 different types over the years. Used them on Sunnies, Crappies, Perch & Walleyes. There are times that they're the best thing on the ice. The small coil spring ones are the most sensitive but they freeze up easily when fishing outside the house. The flat spring or spring wire types work better when using a heavier jig. None of them are good with live bait that wiggles (minnows). One advantage over a slip bobber is that there is no slack between the rod tip and the hook. Makes for a much quicker hook set. Great for fish that suck in the bait and then spit it out again.

I've also had good luck using pring bobbers while fishing for panfish. The only problem I've had is that if you are outside the wind tends to move them a bit. I've outfished conventional bobbers 2:1, even with identical jigs. I would recomend then to any panfisherman.

Check out the new St. Croix Elite rods. I used these rods for the last 2 years before St. Croix picked up the line. At the time there was only one spring now you have 3 different sizes and 5 different actions of rods. If you buy just one of these rods you will put most of your other rods up for sale. Practice CPR these rods will get you more fish.