• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lectro kennel heating pads.

CASTnBLAST

Anyone know anything about these?Thinking of trying one,I'm a bit leary of heat lamps because of the fire factor.I cut a door in my tool shed that connects to my kennel run and made a plywood shelter that was for the most part insulated untill my two Brittany pups shreded all the foam (twice-gotta love pups).Wondering if they put out enough heat to keep them comfy.

I bought a heating pad from Fleet Farm, not sure what the name was. It is a hard black plastic plate about an inch thick. Works pretty good, wont heat the whole dog house but at least it keeps the floor warm with some straw over the top. THe wife says I spoil the dog more than her.

I have a lectro kennel. It is warm. Works very good. It doesn't radiate heat, but if you put your hand on it, and puch on the plastic, you can feel the heat. I know when my dog comes out of the kennel in the afternoon when I get home, she is toasty warm on whatever side she was laying on.

I had one of the hard plastic heat pads that were mentioned but my 80lb Lab broke it the first year when he would walk on it. It had braces in a few spots to help make it rigid but in-between the braces is where he eventually crushed it and then it would short itself out and blow the breaker.

Now I'm looking for another option. Don't want to spend the money each year because it doesn't hold up to his weight. Any other options/suggestions? Thanks.

the lectro kennel doesn't have bracing in it. It just is supported on the edges. I stepped on mine on accident once and it didn't break. I have a 65 pound dog that is walking on it all the time. If you were closer, I would say come on out and take a look.

I did a search and the lectro kennel looks just like the one I had. I will say the one that I had was from a friend I hunt with and was a good 3-4 years old. It had 2 bracing "posts" running down the center every 3rd of the heater. It broke in between those "posts". Maybe it was an old design that was changed. I'll take another look at them but this time I think I'll mount it on the side wall so my dog can just curl up to it. Darn cold weather.

I've always heard these heat pads weren't that good for dogs because they didn't develop a good winter coat due to laying on the heat pad. Anyone else heard that?

As to fires and heat lamps, that can be avoided by some of the barn light fixtures that have a glass over it so even if the bulb breaks and explodes it won't go outside that cover. My dad put this in his kennel and it seems real safe.

The K-9 Kondo heater is a ceramic heating bulb (like they use for reptile cages) inside of a reinforced sheet metal housing that is secured inside of the kennel/doghouse. It works really well. I only plug it in when the temp is below 10 degrees or so. You could probably make one with two coffee cans inserted into each other with the bottoms on either end (make a solid cylynder with lots of 3/8" holes punched in it for air flow), a ceramic light socket, pop rivets or metal screws,and some ingenuity.

I plan to hook up a timer to mine which turns it on/off every hour because it'll be plenty warm enough and save energy. It is a good setup.

PJ

( http://www.sugar-gliders.com/heat-emitter.htm ) Mine is yellow, this one happens to be white.